home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-04-2024, 12:56 PM   #375
smuttana
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21' G80 M3 Comp

Trying to understand the remote start functionality more clearly here, a bit confused from going through the posts.

My scenario (Valves Open Always):
1) I set the valve controller to Option A (Permanently On), and turn off the car
2) I turn on the car (using remote start)

Question:
- Will the car valve setting be Open/Closed/OEM during the remote start process?
- Once I get in the car, and press the start button, will the valve setting be Open/Closed/OEM?

Basically as long as the valve goes into Open when I get in the car and drive off would be fine, and then the rare occurrences when I want to Close, I will using Homelink button.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 01:12 PM   #376
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Remote start doesn't seem to send any power to the valves, so whichever position they were in when you turned the car off they'll be in that position when you remote start it. As soon as you press the start button in the car they'll get power and go to the startup position you programed it to.
This most likely affects every valve controller that gets its power from the actual valves and has a startup position memorized.
Appreciate 1
smuttana366.50
      03-04-2024, 02:37 PM   #377
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Remote start doesn't seem to send any power to the valves, so whichever position they were in when you turned the car off they'll be in that position when you remote start it. As soon as you press the start button in the car they'll get power and go to the startup position you programed it to.
This most likely affects every valve controller that gets its power from the actual valves and has a startup position memorized.
+1

so if you have the valves always at open, they will be open when you turn off the car and will stay open when you activate the remote start.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
smuttana366.50
      03-04-2024, 03:40 PM   #378
jpflect
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 | 2023 BMW X7

I made an entire installation video on how to install with sealed Grommets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongsxr View Post
I'm looking to run to wires through the trunk but my plugs are solid, anyone have the correct grommet with a pass through they used to replace the solid one
For anyone who went through hell like me just to realize hours later that some of the newer cars have the trunk grommets sealed, I made an entire video showing the easy solution.

After I figured out that you just have to poke through the sealed grommet, it took me 20 min to install with zero jack stands.

I am only linking my video so that anyone who wants can see the install video: https://www.tiktok.com/@jpflect/vide...22122847653151
Appreciate 6
smuttana366.50
nosbocaj722.00
Aalfred2661.00
PipeM3200.50
Dnshift158.00
baron951756.00
      03-04-2024, 06:54 PM   #379
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpflect View Post
For anyone who went through hell like me just to realize hours later that some of the newer cars have the trunk grommets sealed, I made an entire video showing the easy solution.

After I figured out that you just have to poke through the sealed grommet, it took me 20 min to install with zero jack stands.

I am only linking my video so that anyone who wants can see the install video: https://www.tiktok.com/@jpflect/vide...22122847653151
Great video. Would be interested to know which grommet you ended up getting for the hole.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 07:31 PM   #380
Tobster3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 6MT

Quote:

Think the M4s have been that way for a while. 2024 M3 still have the rubber gromit, in my car anyway. I didn’t go through the battery box though, just installed under the car as per one of previous video above.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 11:14 AM   #381
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thank you for sharing

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 09:54 PM   #382
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

mike@x-ph.com Is the price that you give the same as whats listed on ur website or r there discounts for forum members? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 09:57 PM   #383
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Thank you for sharing. Great video. Was not too keen on putting the main unit inside the heat shield in the bottom given that I do drive it in snow and rain. This seems to be a great option.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 01:36 PM   #384
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
mike@x-ph.com Is the price that you give the same as whats listed on ur website or r there discounts for forum members? Thanks
dm sent

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 08:04 PM   #385
holiday1001
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx; 2022 X3

Got it installed!
I really don’t know how you guys install it into the black box without jacks or ramp. Barely any space to even see the damn thing. And I had to use one hand to undo the factory connection (not easy!) and to zip tie all the cables because there’s no way to fit both my hands underneath the car.

I guess I got lucky when I pushed the grommet it fell on the floor the box!

Homelink pairing was tricky had to try a few times since the keys were already programmed. Holding the button for 20 seconds resets the programming (orange light comes on) and you have to time the remote with letting go of the homelink button.

Last edited by holiday1001; 03-06-2024 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 02:04 PM   #386
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by holiday1001 View Post
Got it installed!
I really don’t know how you guys install it into the black box without jacks or ramp. Barely any space to even see the damn thing. And I had to use one hand to undo the factory connection (not easy!) and to zip tie all the cables because there’s no way to fit both my hands underneath the car.

I guess I got lucky when I pushed the grommet it fell on the floor the box!

Homelink pairing was tricky had to try a few times since the keys were already programmed. Holding the button for 20 seconds resets the programming (orange light comes on) and you have to time the remote with letting go of the homelink button.
Congrats

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 06:47 PM   #387
kev7c7
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Will be installing mine this weekend (thanks Mike!).

For those who have installed it in the trunk: is it really necessary to remove the rubber grommets first? I was going to cut slits through the rubber and push the connectors through, with the grommets in place. Having them accidentally fall into that plastic cubby sounds like a nightmare...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:18 PM   #388
NicolasB
Not my first rodeo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev7c7 View Post

For those who have installed it in the trunk: is it really necessary to remove the rubber grommets first? I was going to cut slits through the rubber and push the connectors through, with the grommets in place. Having them accidentally fall into that plastic cubby sounds like a nightmare...
Yes, electrical plugs are too big to fit without removal.
Appreciate 1
kev7c721.00
      03-07-2024, 08:47 PM   #389
holiday1001
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx; 2022 X3

Quote:

You can access the rubber grommets from the underside too (without jack or lift, I was only able to feel the grommet/hole)- if you push the grommet half way out from the trunk side you should be able to grab it from the underside. and even if you push it out, if you're gentle it should drop straight out. if you push it too hard it'll fly out into the box I think.

I cut a wedge out of the grommet; but probably cleaner to do a slit and make a hole in the center.
Appreciate 2
      03-08-2024, 11:20 AM   #390
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looking forward for your feedback

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 02:11 PM   #391
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Did you install it? Im planning on doing it this weekend. How did you deal with the rubber grommets. I tried to pry them open but it looks like the r pretty flimsy. Im leaning towards cutting a X using a utility knife to see if I can feed the plug. Also debating if I should use one hole for both drivers and passengers side or cut into each side for the wires.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 02:42 PM   #392
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you install it? Im planning on doing it this weekend. How did you deal with the rubber grommets. I tried to pry them open but it looks like the r pretty flimsy. Im leaning towards cutting a X using a utility knife to see if I can feed the plug. Also debating if I should use one hole for both drivers and passengers side or cut into each side for the wires.

Thanks
You can either drill through the battery compartment grommets to the outside and seal it up, or you can follow my instructions from earlier and use the rubber grommet that's behind the left side trunk liner (behind the left wheel). Pushing that out I had enough room to get the cable to the other side (it was a little tight) and then I ziptied the controller to the cable bundles and set the liner back in. I used snips to cut a slit in, then made a hole for the cables and slid them in. It was able to sit flush around the hole after that. Works well.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 02:51 PM   #393
kev7c7
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:

Thanks
I did and overall very pleased with the increase in volume!

For the grommet the largest connector is 25mm wide while the inner diameter of the grommet is 29mm. So it is possible to just cut an X (I did more of an asterisk with more slits) and slide the connectors through. However when I tried to do this with the grommet in place, the resistance from the "fins" while pushing the connector through was enough to pop the grommet out in the process... If I was to do this again, I'd carefully pop out both grommets, cut the slits, feed connectors through, then reattach the grommets.

As for using one side vs two, I personally didn't like the idea of running the cable right above the hot muffler, albeit above a heatshield, so I used both holes. Note the heatshield does have a hole in the middle where the cable would be directly exposed.
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2661.00
      03-12-2024, 03:04 PM   #394
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I did and overall very pleased with the increase in volume!

For the grommet the largest connector is 25mm wide while the inner diameter of the grommet is 29mm. So it is possible to just cut an X (I did more of an asterisk with more slits) and slide the connectors through. However when I tried to do this with the grommet in place, the resistance from the "fins" while pushing the connector through was enough to pop the grommet out in the process... If I was to do this again, I'd carefully pop out both grommets, cut the slits, feed connectors through, then reattach the grommets.

As for using one side vs two, I personally didn't like the idea of running the cable right above the hot muffler, albeit above a heatshield, so I used both holes. Note the heatshield does have a hole in the middle where the cable would be directly exposed.
Thank you. I think I might pop it out and then just have to cut one slit to let the wire through. I was thinking about the hot muffler and wires too. So will just do it both side. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 11:04 PM   #395
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 /// M50i /// 964 C2

I’m now leaning towards the SST controller.
I really only want to use the valves fully open (sport mode) or OEM (serial mode) using two HomeLink buttons.

I really don’t want to mess with the fob, some users reported issues with the OEM mode aka Serial Mode being programmed to HomeLink. Have you guys been successfully able to program this to HomeLink? This would be a dealbreaker for me if it doesn’t work.

@Mike, you you have these in stock at your warehouse in LV?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 08:47 AM   #396
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtronics View Post
I’m now leaning towards the SST controller.
I really only want to use the valves fully open (sport mode) or OEM (serial mode) using two HomeLink buttons.

I really don’t want to mess with the fob, some users reported issues with the OEM mode aka Serial Mode being programmed to HomeLink. Have you guys been successfully able to program this to HomeLink? This would be a dealbreaker for me if it doesn’t work.

@Mike, you you have these in stock at your warehouse in LV?
I personally have had issues with homelink on both buttons, but I really would not worry about the fob. It's very reliable and I have a very good hiding spot for it with some double-sided VHB

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=316
Appreciate 0