BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
Feral Industries
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-22-2024, 09:39 PM   #1
sonic17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition xDrive

Question Non-authentic Carbon on black g82

Hey everyone, I have a black g82 X drive that I got for a really solid steal. I love the car it is just amazing to use every day. Now the car is fairly stock, not a whole lot of anything but I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on using cheaper alternatives to genuine carbon fiber for appearance-based parts. For example, I can find a "Carbon" front lip for around $200-300 but an authentic one would net me around $1k. It's not like the real one would add any real performance and since these are only appearance parts I don't see why not to pick the cheaper ones as the look is identical. There is the concern about fitment but after discussing with my friends, I can get good parts as long as I buy from proper suppliers. I wanted to get cheaper carbon for the front grills, lip, maybe diffuser, the vents in the front next to the grills, and the parts for the rear left and right in conjunction with the diffuser. Now if I picked the genuine route these would net me close to $5-7k and with Dallas roads I don't feel comfortable having that much running right above these rancid roads we have. I can get it kitted out with fake carbon for about $1-1.5k with almost the same look. Thoughts?

Name:  IMG_0877.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  849.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2024, 09:49 PM   #2
SwankPeRFection
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S4

There is a ton of threads that’ll point you to cost effective real carbon options that are just as good if not better then OEM. Spend a little bit of time on here doing some research before throwing parts on it so you can do it right the first time and not throw away money. Good luck and nice ride.
Appreciate 1
ToysArs69.50
      09-22-2024, 09:55 PM   #3
sonic17
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
There is a ton of threads that’ll point you to cost effective real carbon options that are just as good if not better then OEM. Spend a little bit of time on here doing some research before throwing parts on it so you can do it right the first time and not throw away money. Good luck and nice ride.
Thank you very much! The main concern for me was doing something "taboo" on a g82, but it seems like a common and smarter option for most folks! I will take a really close look into finding the appropriate parts and turn this thing into an absolute bat machine soon (pockets are hurting a bit so gotta work a bit harder first LOL)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2024, 10:19 PM   #4
codean
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440xi, 2025 m4 comp x

OEM carbon parts are very over priced when adding them on a car that didn't select them as a factory option. Find an aftermarket alternative with good reviews and don't give it a second thought.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:40 AM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=891
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:13 AM   #6
Ironthug
Dr. Rolex
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp Xdrive | 24 X5

Please do not put faux carbon on the M..Replacing all the gloss black to real carbon will be 4-5.5k in the aftermarket(China)
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:31 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

We offer several XPH carbon parts, which are the best value on the market.

If you want the best quality carbon, we also offer MHC, but they are much more expensive.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:58 AM   #8
ToysArs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

At this point there seems to be several aftermarket brands producing CF parts as good as the OEM parts or better.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:09 PM   #9
THEROK
Major
Rep
Drives: Model S Plaid

People love to hate on cheap Chinese parts yet they're addicted to them at the same time because carbon fiber. 99% of the cf you see on cars here is straight outta China.
      Yesterday, 12:22 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
People love to hate on cheap Chinese parts yet they're addicted to them at the same time because carbon fiber. 99% of the cf you see on cars here is straight outta China.
your phone, laptop and all expensive electronic stuff are from China. that does not mean anything.

a part can be from China and high quality, it can also be from China and trash.

Appreciate 2
Tyga113415.00
      Yesterday, 12:26 PM   #11
THEROK
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
your phone, laptop and all expensive electronic stuff are from China.

a part can be from China and high quality, it can also be from China and trash.
No schmidt, Mr Sherlock.
      Yesterday, 12:45 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No schmidt, Mr Sherlock.
You are the one who made an obvious statement first; wouldn't that make you Sherlock?

Appreciate 1
Tyga113415.00
      Yesterday, 01:11 PM   #13
THEROK
Major
Rep

Quote:
You are the one who made an obvious statement first; wouldn't that make you Sherlock?
I think China's aftermarket cf auto hobbyist parts monopoly is much less obvious than its manufacturing dominance in the electronic devices industry (see: Foxconn).

But given your business depends on Chinese suppliers, as is much of the world, it makes complete sense why you'd get your drawers in a bunch when I never once commented on quality.
      Yesterday, 01:21 PM   #14
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I’m all about the cheap stuff, baby. Sitting here with my Guangdong sideskirts and Turkey 101
      Yesterday, 01:29 PM   #15
sonic17
Private
Rep

Quote:
We offer several XPH carbon parts, which are the best value on the market.

If you want the best quality carbon, we also offer MHC, but they are much more expensive.
Thank you for sharing! Ill make sure to check yall out.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 02:54 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think China's aftermarket cf auto hobbyist parts monopoly is much less obvious than its manufacturing dominance in the electronic devices industry (see: Foxconn).

But given your business depends on Chinese suppliers, as is much of the world, it makes complete sense why you'd get your drawers in a bunch when I never once commented on quality.
We offer over 400 brands, and I actually make more money from selling U.S.-made carbon products. I was simply clarifying that just because something is cheaper, it doesn’t mean it's low quality, and the country of origin doesn't determine its value.
So, pretty much, I’m saying the opposite of what you're accusing me of.

I also followed up with a joke in response to your comment. I’m sorry if that hurt your feelings

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:09 PM   #17
THEROK
Major
Rep

Quote:
We offer over 400 brands, and I actually make more money from selling U.S.-made carbon products. I was simply clarifying that just because something is cheaper, it doesn’t mean it's low quality, and the country of origin doesn't determine its value.
So, pretty much, I’m saying the opposite of what you're accusing me of.

I also followed up with a joke in response to your comment. I’m sorry if that hurt your feelings
You were clarifying a point for yourself and only yourself. Cool.

If you'd so indulge us since you mentioned about your making money, could your business survive if you couldn't sell made in China products?
      Yesterday, 05:12 PM   #18
sonic17
Private
Rep

Quote:

If you'd so indulge us since you mentioned about your making money, could your business survive if you couldn't sell made in China products?
In his defense I don't see whats the issue of a "made in China" product if he mentions that from the get go and China doesn't necessarily equate to cheaper quality but rather a more effective process when it comes to manufacturing which can be reflected in their prices.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 05:13 PM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:

No, neither would 99% of businesses in the world. Heck, i dont think the USA could survive without China manufacturing at this point

You're getting way off point now. I made a statement, you responded with a joke, and I joked back. It’s all good, no need for hurt feelings. Let’s just move on.

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:32 PM   #20
THEROK
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic17 View Post
In his defense I don't see whats the issue of a "made in China" product if he mentions that from the get go and China doesn't necessarily equate to cheaper quality but rather a more effective process when it comes to manufacturing which can be reflected in their prices.
I'm not sure how you come to defend something when there's been no attack, at least from moi.

Personally speaking, there is no cheap CF that looks good. Especially on a current gen M3/4. Wherever it's made.
      Today, 12:01 AM   #21
vrships
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M4C G82 LCI

Quote:
I'm not sure how you come to defend something when there's been no attack, at least from moi.

Personally speaking, there is no cheap CF that looks good. Especially on a current gen M3/4. Wherever it's made.
But two CF pieces, priced the same, do you agree the China version will have better finish and quality?

Anyway I am picking up a CF front grille soon. It's hard to justify spending >$1100 for a piece like this but I do want good quality and fitment. What price point do you consider is "too cheap" for this part and the quality will be subpar ?
(I saw items from Alibaba that go as cheap as $400. It looks good in the picture but I am hestitant to trust a CF part that's priced so low)
Appreciate 0