Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-02-2024, 11:03 AM   #1
Luk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2007 model

Optimal settings for XHP

Guys

G82 RWD 8 speed, i installed stage two XHP - one thing that drives me absolutely nuts is when I'm in Sport + it jolts when changing gears.,. Feels liker driving a really bad old manual car and i want to get rid of it..
is there a setting that will allow me to disable it? i want the exact same tune just without that silly addon.
also are there custom maps for XHP? like CSL one or stage 2 tuner car one etc.

had it only few days so still learning

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 01:27 PM   #2
RUNSOK
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 COMP XDRIVE

I don't have XHP but I saw several posts that u need to be over a certain throttle opening when you are at Splus mode. The jolt you are feeling is because you are upshifting when the throttle is not open enough. I bet it is shifting lot smoother when you are in Sports plus mode but also at 80 to 100 percent throttle.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 03:48 PM   #3
SwankPeRFection
Major
Rep
Drives: S4

If you’re unhappy with that XHP shit, ask for a refund and then go pay Kubax to flash the CSL factory trans image onto your box. It’ll drive much better and without the bullshit XHP is sometimes known for because all they are about is WOT and not varying degrees of drivability out of their tunes.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 06:59 PM   #4
njoyRice
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Get a custom XHP tune by Rod Sutphin. I'm enjoying it. Racebox and Mike Botti vouches for him.
Appreciate 1
Mapper191.00
      05-03-2024, 12:40 AM   #5
Mapper
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by njoyRice View Post
Get a custom XHP tune by Rod Sutphin. I'm enjoying it. Racebox and Mike Botti vouches for him.
Bend Calibration also recommend Rod.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 03:00 AM   #6
Luk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNSOK View Post
I don't have XHP but I saw several posts that u need to be over a certain throttle opening when you are at Splus mode. The jolt you are feeling is because you are upshifting when the throttle is not open enough. I bet it is shifting lot smoother when you are in Sports plus mode but also at 80 to 100 percent throttle.
actually it happens when im 100% throttle i was doing 60-130 runs and as soon as i floor it and starts changing gears it jolts like crazy, supposedly its a feature as its meant to have aggressive changes but it feels like gearbox gonna explode
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 07:54 AM   #7
RUNSOK
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 COMP XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luk View Post
actually it happens when im 100% throttle i was doing 60-130 runs and as soon as i floor it and starts changing gears it jolts like crazy, supposedly its a feature as its meant to have aggressive changes but it feels like gearbox gonna explode
I see. I prefer to do 60-130 runs by starting in the right gear. The gear that will give me the maximum acceleration rather than just flooring the pedal and letting the car downshift from like 8th to whatever gear ... even on stock configuration I never liked the car felt when I did that. I like to be in the right gear, car screaming at 6k or so then floor the pedal. That way car won't downshift no more.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 05:36 PM   #8
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Luk what are your settings. Give us all details.
      05-08-2024, 09:05 AM   #9
Luk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
If you’re unhappy with that XHP shit, ask for a refund and then go pay Kubax to flash the CSL factory trans image onto your box. It’ll drive much better and without the bullshit XHP is sometimes known for because all they are about is WOT and not varying degrees of drivability out of their tunes.
i bought XHP 7 days ago and tried to return it - they wont take it back, they wont support me either. their only advice is disable tuning box which made me buy XHP in the first place....
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 09:07 AM   #10
Luk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Luk what are your settings. Give us all details.
its stage 2 out of the box, i didn't adjust a single thing also didn't do any of the edit settings like launch mode etc just simpla stage two flash, got race chip gts black running and that is it

does that help or do you need some screenshots?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 09:55 AM   #11
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
its stage 2 out of the box, i didn't adjust a single thing also didn't do any of the edit settings like launch mode etc just simpla stage two flash, got race chip gts black running and that is it

does that help or do you need some screenshots?
There it is…RaceChip. Its probably interfering or sending unexpected values to the DME. Try disabling the RaceChip or take it out of the loop, then try, and report back your results.
      05-08-2024, 10:06 AM   #12
SwankPeRFection
Major
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
i bought XHP 7 days ago and tried to return it - they wont take it back, they wont support me either. their only advice is disable tuning box which made me buy XHP in the first place....
While I’m not a big fan of piggyback bs tuning boxes, XHP isn’t exactly without their own faults on the bs calibrations they have for these trans boxes… it’s not like they’re stellar by themselves. 🙄

All that said, RaceChip is probably the absolute worse piggyback you could pick to run, if you had to run one, which I wouldn’t in a million years. Take it out and see if the problem persists and if it does, then you have recourse to go back to XHP and bitch and complain. If you feel they’re being unfair in taking back their product that doesn’t work for you and they’re also refusing to work with you on a solution, then simply do a chargeback with you CC company and then stop using their software. If they were a respectable business they’d stand behind their product and allow people to return it if there’s some kind of incompatibility issue with it and various tuning options people might choose for these cars. If they wanna be dickheads, be a dickhead back. It’s not like you bought it months ago… it’s 7 measly days!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 10:11 AM   #13
CMW33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
+1. XHP is a bit hit-or-miss on the A90 platform too. I understand using them when there is no other option or you just a need a drag-type setup but I see no reason to use them when the CS/CSL tune is available.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 05:57 AM   #14
Luk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
There it is…RaceChip. Its probably interfering or sending unexpected values to the DME. Try disabling the RaceChip or take it out of the loop, then try, and report back your results.
so that's the advice XHP given to me and yes if i disable it the jerks are not as bad- they are still there don't get me wrong but not as harsh...the problem is i only bought XHP because of racechip, that is the sole reason i was happy with the power gain shaved 1,4 secs of my 60-130 and thought i can better it with xhp since i saw good reviews...

no i said this to XHP as they just say disable it but c'mon if it doesn't work with piggyback devices why not to put it in big bold capitals that it might cause issues..

they don't want to take it back and say they will promise to help but so far they only advice is to either disable it , change settings to less aggressive oh and they want to see a video of the car jerking when changing gears, like what is that going to help you with ? you will see the car shakes with a gear change...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 06:34 AM   #15
-AV8TR-
Rep
Drives: ‘23 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

I’ve been tinkering with XHP for the better part of the past week on my G82. If you decide to get it, you should absolutely go into this with the expectation that you will be using Stage 3. Anything below that absolutely is not worth it (shifts are weaker and take noticeably longer than Stage 3).

After getting some support from XHP and flashing different settings at least 25 times, I’ve gotten the car down to a level that is 80% acceptable to me. The key to minimizing jerks in Stage 3, is to set “Reassign Shift Speeds” to “Medium” for all three modes (Standard, Medium, Fast).

Also make sure Ignition Cut Shifting is off. I’m still playing around with Torque Reduction settings (decreasing them produces less jerk, per gear). I wouldn’t go below 25% though because of the extra clutch wear disclaimer in their docs.

I will say the 3rd to 4th shift is still too aggressive at times with the transmission in S3, especially under load. I find myself pulling off the throttle before shifting just to avoid the jerk, but the downshift blips (which I’ve maxed out to +50% across all gears) are way too addicting for me to not use XHP now. Dare I say, the blips almost sound Porsche-PDK level now…

If you’re driving around in D1/D2/D3, these settings will keep you very happy in Stage 3 since there’s no jerk at all. It’s only S3 that’s the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 07:54 AM   #16
Luk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMW33 View Post
+1. XHP is a bit hit-or-miss on the A90 platform too. I understand using them when there is no other option or you just a need a drag-type setup but I see no reason to use them when the CS/CSL tune is available.
i tried man, they wont take it back....
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 07:56 AM   #17
Luk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AV8TR- View Post
I’ve been tinkering with XHP for the better part of the past week on my G82. If you decide to get it, you should absolutely go into this with the expectation that you will be using Stage 3. Anything below that absolutely is not worth it (shifts are weaker and take noticeably longer than Stage 3).

After getting some support from XHP and flashing different settings at least 25 times, I’ve gotten the car down to a level that is 80% acceptable to me. The key to minimizing jerks in Stage 3, is to set “Reassign Shift Speeds” to “Medium” for all three modes (Standard, Medium, Fast).

Also make sure Ignition Cut Shifting is off. I’m still playing around with Torque Reduction settings (decreasing them produces less jerk, per gear). I wouldn’t go below 25% though because of the extra clutch wear disclaimer in their docs.

I will say the 3rd to 4th shift is still too aggressive at times with the transmission in S3, especially under load. I find myself pulling off the throttle before shifting just to avoid the jerk, but the downshift blips (which I’ve maxed out to +50% across all gears) are way too addicting for me to not use XHP now. Dare I say, the blips almost sound Porsche-PDK level now…

If you’re driving around in D1/D2/D3, these settings will keep you very happy in Stage 3 since there’s no jerk at all. It’s only S3 that’s the issue.
thanks for that - i actually took it off for now, had a nightmare with it too as flash failed multiple times and car wouldnt start, i tried again today and its off the car...it gave me a proper scare though so i dont even thinnk about putting it back on, please keep us posted on your further changes, id be intrigued to see if you end up getting perfect settings for those shifts
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 09:10 AM   #18
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

My current XHP optimal settings:
(for Drag Racing and Street Rolls)
Drag Race Mode = High
Custom Launch = +5 and +5 and Off
2nd Gear = On, On and Off
Line Bump = On
Stop-Go = On
Auto Start/Stop = Off
Shiftmap Editor =
Custom D
upshift: +15, 12, 10, 8, 7, 4, 0
downshift: +20, 15, 10, 5, 4, 2, 0
Custom S
upshift: +25, 22, 20, 18, 17, 16, 14
downshift: +35, 20, 15, 12, 7, 3, 0

It’s just what works for me. I’m still playing with the shiftmaps, but the D settings are pretty much dialed in. The 2nd gear starts are great because it avoids a drone spot in my Goliath, which now sounds much better.
dvlg8025.50
Luk23.50
      05-14-2024, 07:59 AM   #19
dvlg80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M3 Comp G80

For those that didn't know there is a confluence for the 8 speed and it explains a lot of info for the various parameters.

https://rbttuning.atlassian.net/wiki...Flash+Settings
Appreciate 2
TopJimmy5534.50
Luk23.50
      05-14-2024, 09:52 AM   #20
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Our man kern417 created two excellent YouTube videos for the ZF8 on his car.

Part 2 - XHP custom settings
https://youtu.be/bqGSePe-vxo?si=PljneU2S06lj68x_

Part 1 - Basics and what is XHP
https://youtu.be/G176o7Cj9oU?si=cDS1vwI4JUiHzUL7
      05-14-2024, 02:16 PM   #21
Luk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
My current XHP optimal settings:
(for Drag Racing and Street Rolls)
Drag Race Mode = High
Custom Launch = +5 and +5 and Off
2nd Gear = On, On and Off
Line Bump = On
Stop-Go = On
Auto Start/Stop = Off
Shiftmap Editor =
Custom D
upshift: +15, 12, 10, 8, 7, 4, 0
downshift: +20, 15, 10, 5, 4, 2, 0
Custom S
upshift: +25, 22, 20, 18, 17, 16, 14
downshift: +35, 20, 15, 12, 7, 3, 0

It’s just what works for me. I’m still playing with the shiftmaps, but the D settings are pretty much dialed in. The 2nd gear starts are great because it avoids a drone spot in my Goliath, which now sounds much better.
Is your car tuned?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 03:52 PM   #22
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is your car tuned?
Yes, tuned by Paul for my E mixes. I like those XHP settings with the CS+ OTS map too.