06-05-2023, 07:02 AM   #1
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Need Advice - Window Tint Issue

Here's the deal.

Got my windows tinted and let them cure for about 3 weeks. No issues with the sides and windshield but the rear glass has some bubbles that are not going away. The film is 20% and it's not obvious from a foot away unless you know where to look. Problem is, I do.

I talked to the installer and they gave me two options:

1) Re-do the glass but there is a good chance that the film has cured and that it may damage or pull off the heating/defrosting elements with it.

2) Refund me. I didn't inquire if it's for the whole job or just the cost of the rear glass. Regardless, I'd rather have it look right.

Any of you guys have any experience with #1? Is this a real issue?

Any input would be appreciated. Having them replace my rear glass as a whole is not an option.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 09:33 PM   #2
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Take the refund and go else where
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 06:38 AM   #3
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Take the refund and go else where
That was my first thought but it sounds like I may be SOL since I can't do much about the tint because of the defroster elements.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 07:20 AM   #4
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I would get a second opinion on that.

You should be able to get it removed I think without damage I would have thought
Appreciate 1
mirob3268.00
      06-07-2023, 08:00 AM   #5
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
I would get a second opinion on that.

You should be able to get it removed I think without damage I would have thought
Yeah, that's what I was trying to do here to see if anyone has dealt with anything like this before.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 10:45 AM   #6
Nado
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3X

Get a refund and go elsewhere. Removing tint should not remove the heating elements. I have removed many tints and never damaged my defrosters.
Appreciate 1
mirob3268.00
      06-08-2023, 06:42 AM   #7
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilophirHaltos View Post
I understand your situation and concern regarding the bubbles on your rear glass after getting your windows tinted. It's frustrating when the rest of the tinted windows look fine, but this specific area has issues.

Regarding the options provided by the installer, let's address them:

Re-doing the glass: While it's possible to reapply the film, there is a risk that the curing process may have caused the film to adhere more strongly to the glass and potentially damage or pull off the heating/defrosting elements. This is a legitimate concern, especially if the film has been in place for three weeks. It would be best to consult with the installer further to understand their experience and expertise in handling such situations. They may be able to provide more specific insights based on the type of film and the condition of your rear glass.

Refund: Opting for a refund is a reasonable choice if you prioritize having a visually appealing and flawless tint job. It's essential to clarify with the installer whether the refund would cover the entire job or just the cost of the rear glass. This will help you make an informed decision on how to proceed.

As for experiences with the first option, it can vary depending on various factors, including the specific film used, installation techniques, and the condition of the glass and heating/defrosting elements. It would be beneficial to gather more information from the installer or seek additional opinions from trusted professionals in the window tinting industry to evaluate the feasibility and potential risks associated with reapplying the film.

Ultimately, the decision depends on your priorities and the level of risk you are willing to accept. It's important to communicate openly with the installer and make an informed choice based on their expertise and your specific circumstances.
I appreciate your detailed response. I ultimately decided that I wasn't willing to take the risk and opted for the refund. The rear glass has one or two areas the size of a dollar coin with a few tiny bubbles. It's not perfect but it's also by no means horrible. After giving it some thought I decided that it's just something I can live with. The tint is 20% and pretty dark (to me) that they're barely visible. In time, I'll probably just forget they're there.

I could have made him pull it and then have him deal with the consequences of having to repair/replace the rear glass. But, this is a small family business who did right by me and this was not the time, place, nor reason to be that guy.

I appreciate the guys who offered advice.
Appreciate 1
Nado231.50
      06-08-2023, 07:54 AM   #8
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
I appreciate your detailed response. I ultimately decided that I wasn't willing to take the risk and opted for the refund. The rear glass has one or two areas the size of a dollar coin with a few tiny bubbles. It's not perfect but it's also by no means horrible. After giving it some thought I decided that it's just something I can live with. The tint is 20% and pretty dark (to me) that they're barely visible. In time, I'll probably just forget they're there.

I could have made him pull it and then have him deal with the consequences of having to repair/replace the rear glass. But, this is a small family business who did right by me and this was not the time, place, nor reason to be that guy.

I appreciate the guys who offered advice.
Lol that response was definitely written by chatGPT 😆
Appreciate 2
mirob3268.00
Needsdecaf6952.50
      06-08-2023, 08:14 AM   #9
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post