BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-24-2021, 08:47 PM   #1
CodyAXM
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 On Order

Do you love your M3/M4?

Hi Everyone,

I currently have an M3 Competition X-Drive on order. I’m eager to hear some owners answers to this question .

I like to play devils advocate with myself often when making this type of purchase and unfortunately I haven’t been able to drive one myself yet. I’m curious as to how the majority feels about their cars.

Most reviews are glowing about the G80 platform! Which is great.
One thing I’ve seen pointed out in a few reviews, is that while the overall recipe is really a major success - the powertrain “ fun factor” leaves a bit to be desired.

Please let me know how you feel or if there are any changes you would welcome to these cars.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:05 PM   #2
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
In love with my Purple People Eater. 😈
Attached Images

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 19
Jmpascual687.50
Patton2502936.50
amzbimmer299.50
yousefnjr6112.00
Tyga113227.00
02M3ForMe4255.50
HTTP 4102105.50
JDUNITNOW3453.00
itsmabs175.50
RockinPA4848.00
nottoday175.50
M3GALLY643.50
'Cane8345.00
6speed_M23481.50
nathanm4681.00
m20e30871143.00
2011ninja3319.50
      11-25-2021, 06:04 AM   #3
CodyAXM
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
In love with my Purple People Eater. 😈
Oof that looks tough. Very nice !
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0018923.00
      11-25-2021, 06:22 AM   #4
KithM4isBae
Private
Rep
Drives: Kith M4, V60 polestar, SLK55

I love every second I drive the thing. It leaves nothing to be desired aside from a racetrack as the streets are using only 1% of the things potential.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0018923.00
      11-25-2021, 06:28 AM   #5
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

I loved my Brooklyn gray RWD M3 so much that because of the value of used cars I traded it in and ordered the a skyscraper Grey AWD M3. It arrived at my dealer yesterday and I pick it up tomorrow.

Full disclosure I have only owned a couple of nice Mercedes-Benz and have only driven a handful of sports cars my entire life including a McLaren. The M3 G80 is by far the most fun I’ve ever had driving a car and the great part is with this new G80 you can push a couple of buttons and make it almost as comfortable a ride as a Lincoln or a Cadillac. Something I could not do when I test drove the F80. So I don’t see any reason why you won’t enjoy yours when you get it.
Appreciate 3
chicagofan0018923.00
02M3ForMe4255.50
nottoday175.50
      11-25-2021, 06:34 AM   #6
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Yes, I love my M3 6MT. It's my favorite car that I've had in well over 20 years. There are points that I can make about it's imperfections, but the balance of what you get for the $$ isn't really matched by anything else.

We all know that the Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio is likely a bit better of a driving experience at speed, but loving your car over time is a LOT different than loving it for a week of having a press car. You need to be happy with it after being stuck in traffic with it 95 times. After making 40 Costco runs. After driving 3 chatty friends across the metro in heavy rain. Sitting in it reading a book with a cup of coffee because all the tables were taken at Peet's.

After 8 months and 15 days of ownership, I love this car with all of those things taken into account ALONG with how it feels on a twisty mountain road. I have trouble coming up with any other car that would have served so darn well and caused so many smiles.
Appreciate 6
Osage49.00
chicagofan0018923.00
JMU_BMW152.50
2011ninja3319.50
      11-25-2021, 06:42 AM   #7
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
I only had my car 1 week or 150 miles. So i don't have enough seat time.

However so far i do love it. A lot. It's definitely a change in performance cars than what i'm used to (corvette owner for about 2 decades).

However it's not a perfect car. At least in the way it drives. But again, i need more seat time and the really cold weather/break in mile has prevented me from really finding out what this car is like. So i don't know if the car is really like this, or it's because something is wrong. But as time goes on i'll see if anything changes.

But so far i love it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 07:25 AM   #8
CodyAXM
Private
Rep

Thank you for the feedback guys, I appreciate you taking the time to thoroughly explain! Hearing the positive remarks makes the wait even more difficult .

I find a lot of cars today miss the mark on “fun factor” . The push for greater and greener HP has simultaneously dulled the experience in some cases.
Thanks to all of you once more
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2021, 08:36 AM   #9
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Absolutely love this thing every day!

Picked up my G80 Comp back in April. 5,700 miles now, and does 50 miles a day as a daily.

It doesn’t have the character like my last M3 (E90), but it’s a blast every time. I live out in the country with lots of great roads.. this thing is an absolute monster in every way, and feels so special while doing it.

Sure, modern cars are digital, but it still feels like a spunky and energetic M car.
Appreciate 2
chicagofan0018923.00
nottoday175.50
      11-25-2021, 09:38 AM   #10
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

It's a great car for sure. My only complaint is it's too fast for public roads. I think I enjoyed the thrill of driving my e36 and e46 more because I could push it harder on the road and wringing out the revs through the gears. This thing is doing a 100 before you know it so I'm always backing off
Appreciate 7
JMU_BMW152.50
ottm354.00
m20e30871143.00
Germanauto9665.50
      11-25-2021, 10:50 AM   #11
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Love it, but it's a different love than I have for my E93.

It's a great M car, but it's different. It's mature. But in each generation of M car, each M has felt different than its predecessor, even more so over the last 20 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 10:54 AM   #12
Sunnystone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
It's a great car for sure. My only complaint is it's too fast for public roads. I think I enjoyed the thrill of driving my e36 and e46 more because I could push it harder on the road and wringing out the revs through the gears. This thing is doing a 100 before you know it so I'm always backing off
Ive got to agree here. The same thought hit me days after first picking mine up nearly a month ago. Its blisteringly quick.

it wouldnt be so bad if there werent so many road cameras about coupled with slightly lower speed limits (im based in the UK!) or slower drivers clogging up the roads in fear of getting a speeding ticket from such devices.

It did get me thinking about just how ridiculous all these highly-strung supercars must be on the road in a daily situation given that they're all 700bhp+ monsters at least and weigh next to nothing.

Its bonkers!

Oh and btw I cant get enough of it though. Absolutely love it!!!!

Last edited by Sunnystone; 11-25-2021 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
JMU_BMW152.50
      11-25-2021, 12:42 PM   #13
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
I drove the rwd G80 at laguna seca m track days and I don't think I've ever had that much fun driving a car. It is by far the most luxurious 3 series I've sat in while being an absolute monster on the road. The RWD variant kept traction so well that I know I'm gonna be blown away when I get my XDrive. It was much more fun to drive in my opinion than the M5 comp even though the M5 has the M3 on power. I was worried about switching to the M3 from a power standpoint as I just got a Tesla model 3 performance which is just instant torque delivery. But there is so much more to a car than flooring it off the line, and driving the M3 proved that to me very quickly that it's the total package. It's a luxury race car that you can daily - what more could you need?
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4255.50
      11-25-2021, 02:46 PM   #14
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
However it's not a perfect car. At least in the way it drives. But again, i need more seat time and the really cold weather/break in mile has prevented me from really finding out what this car is like. So i don't know if the car is really like this, or it's because something is wrong.
What about the way it drives makes you think something maybe wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:03 PM   #15
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Great looking car--black with the grill looks terrific; outstanding performance--both power and handling, and the most luxury in its class and even above. Kind of hard not to 'love' it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:35 PM   #16
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
What about the way it drives makes you think something maybe wrong?
The car seems to want to lurch from a standstill.

The best way i can describe it is the feeling you get when you creep in D when the car is STONE COLD. Versus when you creep in D when the car has been fully warmed up.

If i'm at a light, then it turns green, i let my foot off the brake to obviously start going, it'll first act like the "creeping in D when you take your foot off the brake when the engine is fully warmed up", INTO, "creeping in D when you take your foot off the brake when the engine is still stone cold".

I know it sounds confusing but there a lurching motion and sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. The most annoying is coming out of my tight driveway when i first take the car out. Because that's when i first noticed it and i thought it was all the sensors freaking out because of how tight the driveway was and kept engaging and disengaging the brakes slightly. But it happened coming out of lights on public roads too.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:44 PM   #17
Sunnystone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The car seems to want to lurch from a standstill.

The best way i can describe it is the feeling you get when you creep in D when the car is STONE COLD. Versus when you creep in D when the car has been fully warmed up.

If i'm at a light, then it turns green, i let my foot off the brake to obviously start going, it'll first act like the "creeping in D when you take your foot off the brake when the engine is fully warmed up", INTO, "creeping in D when you take your foot off the brake when the engine is still stone cold".

I know it sounds confusing but there a lurching motion and sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. The most annoying is coming out of my tight driveway when i first take the car out. Because that's when i first noticed it and i thought it was all the sensors freaking out because of how tight the driveway was and kept engaging and disengaging the brakes slightly. But it happened coming out of lights on public roads too.
Ditto.

Ive noticed this on very slow manoeuvres, usually when entering or exiting the garage coming out of the driveway and edging out onto the main road. I find ive gotta have my foot hovering over the brake.

I liken it tho to having a race horse on a dog lead. Its ready rip at any moment!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:49 PM   #18
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I love driving the car, has great handling, it's fast, and I love the look of the car. It is my first M car and I've been wanting an M3 since the e46 days. But for whatever reason I'm not emotionally attached to it yet like my other cars in the past. If someone was to ask me would you like to sell it for a profit, I probably would and wouldn't mind waiting for another one. I'm guessing it's because it might be lacking personality or I haven't had much seat time yet. I have ordered an air intake kit, and the full Remus catback exhaust and I'm hoping that would wake it up.

I may be crazy but at times I do walk into my garage just to look and admire the car.
Appreciate 1
JMU_BMW152.50
      11-25-2021, 04:24 PM   #19
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystone View Post
Ditto.

Ive noticed this on very slow manoeuvres, usually when entering or exiting the garage coming out of the driveway and edging out onto the main road. I find ive gotta have my foot hovering over the brake.

I liken it tho to having a race horse on a dog lead. Its ready rip at any moment!

Wait yours is the same way? Ok at least i know my car isn't the only one lol.

I mean i don't mind it, it's just annoying. I'll mention it to the service dept when i take the car in for the 1200 mile break in service and see what they say.

But before i got my car, i might have watched over 100 M3C videos and now it starts to make sense because i saw one european video of a guy (it was at a dealer) going through the automated car wash, then he was creeping out of it and i was thinking why does it look like he's accelerating ever so slightly, then coming to a full stop lol.

Now i understand why haha
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 05:25 PM   #20
Sunnystone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wait yours is the same way? Ok at least i know my car isn't the only one lol.

I mean i don't mind it, it's just annoying. I'll mention it to the service dept when i take the car in for the 1200 mile break in service and see what they say.

But before i got my car, i might have watched over 100 M3C videos and now it starts to make sense because i saw one european video of a guy (it was at a dealer) going through the automated car wash, then he was creeping out of it and i was thinking why does it look like he's accelerating ever so slightly, then coming to a full stop lol.

Now i understand why haha
Yep. Sounds like its the same. For very slow speeds like this i also have switch off auto-hold and stop-start as sometimes to slow the car from jolting foward (when garaging it for example) i slightly touch the brake which often brings the car a complete stop thus enabling auto-hold and stopstart right at the wrong monent. It took me a short while to get used to but im fine with it now.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 05:45 PM   #21
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystone View Post
Yep. Sounds like its the same. For very slow speeds like this i also have switch off auto-hold and stop-start as sometimes to slow the car from jolting foward (when garaging it for example) i slightly touch the brake which often brings the car a complete stop thus enabling auto-hold and stopstart right at the wrong monent. It took me a short while to get used to but im fine with it now.
Wait, auto-hold turns on automatically when you turn the car on?

I have stop-start off on both my M buttons so i know that isn't the issue. But the auto-hold does make sense. Because that's what it feels like getting out of my driveway. It's like i wanna creep the car forward going barely 1mph but the car is applying it's brakes as if it's sensing an obstruction and it's doing an emergency brake. It's really annoying. I may try to roll out of my driveway in neutral and see if that changes anything although it'll take me forever to get out of next time lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 08:33 PM   #22
eMMit
M Enthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3Comp xDrive FDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyAXM View Post
Hi Everyone,

I currently have an M3 Competition X-Drive on order. I’m eager to hear some owners answers to this question .

I like to play devils advocate with myself often when making this type of purchase and unfortunately I haven’t been able to drive one myself yet. I’m curious as to how the majority feels about their cars.

Most reviews are glowing about the G80 platform! Which is great.
One thing I’ve seen pointed out in a few reviews, is that while the overall recipe is really a major success - the powertrain “ fun factor” leaves a bit to be desired.

Please let me know how you feel or if there are any changes you would welcome to these cars.
Thanks!
Had my G80CX FDG for a few weeks now.

Its. Fucking. Awesome.

Having daily'd a 1 Series M Coupe for 4 years (which was amazing as a drivers car, but a little nerve-racking at times) this thing is every bit as much fun, but with the added power, wheelbase, comfort and control you would expect to make it an even better overall experience.

Maybe those compaining about the powertain "fun factor" don't understand how to operate the M-sport settings?

No changes required. Hang-on, maybe the sound could be better. But that's it.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4255.50