BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums CANADA

11-17-2021, 09:50 AM   #353
Kimchiguy79
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 Lexus IS500 FSP Launch Ed

I guess my week 45 build is complete but I have the dreaded audio module stop sale.
Who knows how long it will take, based on some of you waiting over a month for the chip.
Does anybody know if the Canadian government is passing the luxury tax through since I'll likely be taking delivery in Jan 2022...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #354
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Model S P100D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akBMWGrandRiver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VancityG82 View Post
What would be the eta from Halifax to Vancouver? Also do you happen to know how accurate the BMW system ETA arrival time is? It said Dec 2nd arrival to Vancouver dealership when it was shipped from Germany on early Nov
I think (I could be wrong) cars to the West Coast go to a West coast port of entry?
Other posts that I've seen their cars arrive at Halifax and reach BC via rail.

They might have to arrive west coast now though since Vancouver is currently cut off from the rest of the country both via rail and via highway due to flooding. I hope this is true because I'm hoping mine should be arriving in the next 2-4 weeks
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 05:10 PM   #355
Andymasterx
Canada
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 M3C xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlby18 View Post
I actually get my updates from 1-800-567-2691. If you give them your allocation number they can give you info on it. That's how I found out my car was delayed till week 2.
Had better luck with IVR today, but very limited info was provided: production week and the fact the car is in production. Maybe it's better off to just divert my attention away from it for a while
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 05:19 PM   #356
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

My car in on a train somewhere, and can't get to Vancouver because <checks notes> we're cut off from the rest of Canada because the climate tried to drown us all and broke both highway and rail transport to the lower mainland.

Hope everyone on the same area is safe and sound!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #357
Andymasterx
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchiguy79 View Post
I guess my week 45 build is complete but I have the dreaded audio module stop sale.
Who knows how long it will take, based on some of you waiting over a month for the chip.
Does anybody know if the Canadian government is passing the luxury tax through since I'll likely be taking delivery in Jan 2022...
Same here been pushed to week 45. Your sales guy would know about the tax. I'm thinking if the tax were to apply, we should be able to avoid it by making the payment early...dealership won't mind getting the cash early.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 05:32 PM   #358
Andymasterx
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilalien View Post
My car in on a train somewhere, and can't get to Vancouver because <checks notes> we're cut off from the rest of Canada because the climate tried to drown us all and broke both highway and rail transport to the lower mainland.

Hope everyone on the same area is safe and sound!
Nothing good comes easy. I'm sure we all think it's worth the wait.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 09:12 PM   #359
Dundas
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 xDrive BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymasterx View Post
Same here been pushed to week 45. Your sales guy would know about the tax. I'm thinking if the tax were to apply, we should be able to avoid it by making the payment early...dealership won't mind getting the cash early.
In my experience the dealers are poorly informed about it but I doubt that they will want to take any risk to help customers avoid it. They can't book the sale until they deliver the car.

The Liberals promised in their last budget to implement it by Jan. 1,2022
If it is implemented as proposed it is supposed to include everything above $100K including freight & PDE, dealer installed options, etc., etc. Only HST is not included in the calculation.
You are even supposed to self assess for any aftermarket mods or accessories added within 12 months!
I am curious to see what they are going to do about winter wheels and tires.
'08 E92 M3 BSM - sold
'02 E46 M3 CB - sold
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 07:35 AM   #360
akBMWGrandRiver
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by codestar View Post
Other posts that I've seen their cars arrive at Halifax and reach BC via rail.

They might have to arrive west coast now though since Vancouver is currently cut off from the rest of the country both via rail and via highway due to flooding. I hope this is true because I'm hoping mine should be arriving in the next 2-4 weeks
again not sure haha but hopefully you get yours soon!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 08:33 AM   #361
Shinzzze
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymasterx View Post
In my experience the dealers are poorly informed about it but I doubt that they will want to take any risk to help customers avoid it. They can't book the sale until they deliver the car.

The Liberals promised in their last budget to implement it by Jan. 1,2022
If it is implemented as proposed it is supposed to include everything above $100K including freight & PDE, dealer installed options, etc., etc. Only HST is not included in the calculation.
You are even supposed to self assess for any aftermarket mods or accessories added within 12 months!
I am curious to see what they are going to do about winter wheels and tires.
The luxury tax is still being consulted and I hope it never comes through. The tax means 20% more expensive on PPF, ceramic coating, aftermarket parts, winter tire and rims (since they are "installed" within 12 months of delivery).

It looks like an early December delivery is happening. Otherwise this tax would've been a deal breaker for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 09:56 AM   #362
Multani
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinzzze View Post
The luxury tax is still being consulted and I hope it never comes through. The tax means 20% more expensive on PPF, ceramic coating, aftermarket parts, winter tire and rims (since they are "installed" within 12 months of delivery).

It looks like an early December delivery is happening. Otherwise this tax would've been a deal breaker for me.
The tax is on every dollar over 100k on that single product. Doesnt apply to individual purchases
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 10:18 AM   #363
Shinzzze
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multani View Post
Quote:

The tax is on every dollar over 100k on that single product. Doesnt apply to individual purchases
Check again… it applies to all the dealer installed parts, and modifications added to the car within 12 months of the purchase.

And the amount is the lessor of 10% of the full amount or 20% of the amount above 100K
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 10:36 AM   #364
Multani
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Competition

Quote:
Check again… it applies to all the dealer installed parts, and modifications added to the car within 12 months of the purchase.

And the amount is the lessor of 10% of the full amount or 20% of the amount above 100K
🤷🏽*♂️ One of the reasons i got a 2021. That and 4 year service.

The tax is absurd for the 100k bracket due to inflation. The tax should be >200k
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #365
Shinzzze
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The tax is absurd for the 100k bracket due to inflation. The tax should be >200k
Nice move. Yeah the tax is not doing anything good, and 100k cars are pretty common nowadays :

But look at the luxury threshold at BC (55K) and Quebec (40k) is just on another level
Appreciate 1
Multani61.00
      11-19-2021, 06:42 PM   #366
VancityG82
Private
Rep
Drives: 22’ BG M4 xDrive

To all those waiting for the car to arrive to BC:

Did you guys hear anything from the dealer how the car is going to be shipped to BC from Halifax with all the roads and railways closure? ETA of highways and railways opening up is not even known meaning it could be months before they reopen? My dealer said they dont have any informations or solution regarding this yet which I find hard to believe as this is crisis level of business disaster for all the german car dealers in BC as their only shipping method was railway.

I am seriously thinking about canceling my order after 4 months wait if it takes 3-4 months to get here from Halifax
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 08:16 PM   #367
whoisziqitho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4C Xdrive

Quote:

"Modifications to a Vehicle (other than for certain accessibility purposes) made within 12 months of delivery or importation and where the total price paid is $5,000 or more."

I am happy that the carbon fibre spoiler is $4700
Appreciate 1
Shinzzze195.50
      11-19-2021, 09:49 PM   #368
Shinzzze
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisziqitho View Post
Quote:

"Modifications to a Vehicle (other than for certain accessibility purposes) made within 12 months of delivery or importation and where the total price paid is $5,000 or more."

I am happy that the carbon fibre spoiler is $4700
$4700 is just the wing I believe, there is another $500 for fitting and glue, and $800 ish for labour
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 10:05 PM   #369
DAlby18
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Toronto Red M3 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nice move. Yeah the tax is not doing anything good, and 100k cars are pretty common nowadays :

But look at the luxury threshold at BC (55K) and Quebec (40k) is just on another level
Honestly the amount of Tax I pay today compared to the last government is insane and it's almost sad that I feel nothing has improved but rather gotten worse since then and they want to impose more and more taxes. Hell if your going to impose a luxury tax then the HOV lanes should allow vehicles over $100K. Like plz just give me something.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 11:36 AM   #370
Kimchiguy79
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 Lexus IS500 FSP Launch Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlby18 View Post
Honestly the amount of Tax I pay today compared to the last government is insane and it's almost sad that I feel nothing has improved but rather gotten worse since then and they want to impose more and more taxes. Hell if your going to impose a luxury tax then the HOV lanes should allow vehicles over $100K. Like plz just give me something.
I guess we'll see what happens but I think it's pretty ridiculous that nothing has been confirmed one way or another with the tax since it would be just over a month away. Funny that governments take ages to provide additional funding to programs but they can turn around a tax overnight.
What's interesting is that the municipal government thought about putting a toll on the Gardiner for people driving into the city. It was called the Lexus Lane because it was assumed that more affluent drivers would happily pay the toll. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 12:42 AM   #371
whoisziqitho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4C Xdrive

Quote:
$4700 is just the wing I believe, there is another $500 for fitting and glue, and $800 ish for labour
wait, does installation/labor also count for the luxury tax?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 12:52 AM   #372
Shinzzze
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisziqitho View Post
Quote:
wait, does installation/labor also count for the luxury tax?
There is no confirmation or detailed rules whatsoever and it is just a bit over a month till the proposed implementation date. Normally a depreciating asset is valued at it's delivered/installed value. In this case then yes, labour cost to install a wing is taxable.

Don't take my word for it though, I don't think anyone would know how this tax is based on until months or even years after it's been implemented lol. The gun ban before election was a perfect example, everyone still has no idea how to handle some firearm transportation issues lmao.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2021, 05:40 PM   #373
VancityG82
Private
Rep
Drives: 22’ BG M4 xDrive

For any of you guys that were in Morning Peace vessel did your status change to “Arrived at port” yet? I believe my car was on that vessel as well but its still at “in transit” status.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 06:00 PM   #374
Shinzzze
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancityG82 View Post
For any of you guys that were in Morning Peace vessel did your status change to “Arrived at port” yet? I believe my car was on that vessel as well but its still at “in transit” status.
Not sure how you are tracking the status as I could only get updates from my SA. I would not worry too much as the ship has left Halifax on Saturday and our car should come soon if you don't have a stop-sale.

Will follow up with my SA in two weeks if not heard back as It takes some time to get on a train. Cars probably haven't pass custom yet.
Appreciate 0