BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

02-04-2021, 06:02 PM   #23
CklSpeciale
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw M4

Thanks everyone who replied to this post. I cancelled my order and secured an allocation with build week 10 at another dealer, and they gave me the production number the day I place the order. So if you ever end up in the same situation as me, walk away ASAP.
Appreciate 4
M3AWD3184.50
Bahamut709.50
Dr.Deep1827.00
      02-04-2021, 06:20 PM   #24
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CklSpeciale View Post
Thanks everyone who replied to this post. I cancelled my order and secured an allocation with build week 10 at another dealer, and they gave me the production number the day I place the order. So if you ever end up in the same situation as me, walk away ASAP.

You did the right thing!

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 02:51 PM   #25
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Curious did they even fight for your business... they let a sold car walk over a production number?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #26
BMdoubleUTIFUL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Sounds like they let a sold car walk because they were lying about having an available allocation just to try and keep some business
Appreciate 2
mkoesel7526.00
      02-07-2021, 07:40 PM   #27
CklSpeciale
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Curious did they even fight for your business... they let a sold car walk over a production number?
The SA is actually a good guy. He said he will reach out to his skip manager and get the number for me in 10 minute, but I don't feel like I can trust them so I refused that. I also doubt if they really have the production number for me either.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 11:54 PM   #28
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
I want to avoid a similar situation, and having never ordered a factory built M4, I'd appreciate a better sense of the timing I should expect.

Unfortunately where I am on the east coast, all nearby dealers are offering AWD M4 orders at MSRP. The actual ordering sheets aren't available yet at my closest dealer, expected mid-April.

He wants $1K down to save an allocation, and then $4K down once the build is completed. I asked if that comes with a production number, but he seemed to say that once the build is finalized THEN they place the order and THEN the production number comes.

Is that normal? At what stage do I actually know they have a reserved slot with BMW and I'm getting a firm construction date? I also looked up the laws in PA, and getting a deposit back isn't always a given.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 02:48 AM   #29
CklSpeciale
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
I want to avoid a similar situation, and having never ordered a factory built M4, I'd appreciate a better sense of the timing I should expect.

Unfortunately where I am on the east coast, all nearby dealers are offering AWD M4 orders at MSRP. The actual ordering sheets aren't available yet at my closest dealer, expected mid-April.

He wants $1K down to save an allocation, and then $4K down once the build is completed. I asked if that comes with a production number, but he seemed to say that once the build is finalized THEN they place the order and THEN the production number comes.

Is that normal? At what stage do I actually know they have a reserved slot with BMW and I'm getting a firm construction date? I also looked up the laws in PA, and getting a deposit back isn't always a given.
Having some experience myself, IMO the 5k deposit in total is insane especially when the state law doesn't guarantee you full refund before delivery. 1k is most common and it can go up to 3k I guess. Meanwhile, I think it is reasonable that a production number will be available only after you submit a build and they place the order for you, but you can always change your build before your car hitting the assembly line, which is about 2 weeks before your build week. A build week is tied to an allocation so don't forget to ask the dealer about it. Having said that, you should be able to get the prod number right after they place the order for you, given that they indeed have an allocation.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:46 AM   #30
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post

Having some experience myself, IMO the 5k deposit in total is insane especially when the state law doesn't guarantee you full refund before delivery. 1k is most common and it can go up to 3k I guess. Meanwhile, I think it is reasonable that a production number will be available only after you submit a build and they place the order for you, but you can always change your build before your car hitting the assembly line, which is about 2 weeks before your build week. A build week is tied to an allocation so don't forget to ask the dealer about it. Having said that, you should be able to get the prod number right after they place the order for you, given that they indeed have an allocation.
Ya, seems like a lot to me too. In principle I think it's BS, but also a reflection of the fact that they don't know me (just moved to the area) and apparently they haven't had a problem moving these as they come in. I'm set on this order and this is exactly what I was planning to put down anyway, so from a practical perspective it's a wash.

What I will do is ask for a written guarantee that I get a production number immediately after the order is submitted, so I don't see a situation like OPs where they may just be putting me in line until an allocation actually opens up. I'll also charge my deposits on my CC so I have that avenue in case there's a dispute.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:54 AM   #31
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
I did the credit app, put down a $2,500 deposit, and submitted my build with the dealership. Had an allocation within the week (took them longer than initially anticipated for new allocations to open up). I've bought 3 other vehicles from this dealership so I didn't have any concerns about the deposit.

In other instances we have put down up to $5k to secure a vehicle in transit to a dealership when my wife was looking for a car. I would never do any more than $5k though.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1