BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

10-16-2020, 05:36 PM   #23
chrismocock
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

I love this motor,having previously had the M4 Competition i didn't think this new M car would grow on me but it has big time http://dreamwinner.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 07:32 PM   #24
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puuhapete View Post
Its always nice to listen to Chris, even I disagree strongly on 1M being more exciting than M3 E92. Driven both cars numerous times, I would choose the E92 over 1M every day.
The problem I've always had with these reviews is that they always want to tell you how fun on a car is on a back road or at that track, but that's missing half the point.

The 1M is worse in every regard when compared to the M2. You cannot say the same about the E92 over the F80.

That engine was the last special motor they made, and the chassis it was tied to was no slouch. It was also much more comfortable than the 1M, and better looking. And on the track, you really had to drive the E9X. it took a lot of driving to make it go fast, but that's what made it so much fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Quote:
Its always nice to listen to Chris, even I disagree strongly on 1M being more exciting than M3 E92. Driven both cars numerous times, I would choose the E92 over 1M every day.
His is tuned so a torque monster and he likes a ragged edge. I agree S65 is way more my thing vs N54 in any state of tune.
Quote:
Quote:
The problem I've always had with these reviews is that they always want to tell you how fun on a car is on a back road or at that track, but that's missing half the point.

The 1M is worse in every regard when compared to the M2. You cannot say the same about the E92 over the F80.

That engine was the last special motor they made, and the chassis it was tied to was no slouch. It was also much more comfortable than the 1M, and better looking. And on the track, you really had to drive the E9X. it took a lot of driving to make it go fast, but that's what made it so much fun.
Spoken like E92 or M2 owners who didn't get lucky enough to score a 1M. Approximately 1/100 reviewers agree with your opinion.

I agree that the S65 is better than an N54, but the 1M is way better than the sum of its parts. Looks are subjective, but very few cars a as comical/concept car looking than a 1M with its giant wheels and fender flares which pictures don't do it justice.

Ironically the F8X and M2 are BMW's attempts to mix the 1M DNA with the E9X DNA. While the F8X is a great car (I have one), the result is more of an E39 M5 vs a traditional M3.
Appreciate 3
10"4946.00
FreeDarko217.00
G80indy1710.00
      10-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #25
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

1M forever. Nothing else like it even now.

Harris has driven everything up and down.
He knows.
      10-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #26
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
His is tuned so a torque monster and he likes a ragged edge. I agree S65 is way more my thing vs N54 in any state of tune.
Quote:
Quote:

Spoken like E92 or M2 owners who didn't get lucky enough to score a 1M. Approximately 1/100 reviewers agree with your opinion.

I agree that the S65 is better than an N54, but the 1M is way better than the sum of its parts. Looks are subjective, but very few cars a as comical/concept car looking than a 1M with its giant wheels and fender flares which pictures don't do it justice.

Ironically the F8X and M2 are BMW's attempts to mix the 1M DNA with the E9X DNA. While the F8X is a great car (I have one), the result is more of an E39 M5 vs a traditional M3.
That's not true at all. I'm an original E92 M3 owner, bought in 2010, and I had the option to purchase the 1M instead. But It's a parts bin car.

Regardless, the M2 is better than the 1M. Literally, it does everything better.

People spend gazillions on a used 1M as oppose to buying an M2. To each their own.
      10-16-2020, 10:18 PM   #27
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

I totally disagree with your comment in regards to the 1M and M2.
Having owned both, would swap back to the 1M in a heartbeat.
But then, each to their own mate
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 11:09 PM   #28
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's not true at all. I'm an original E92 M3 owner, bought in 2010, and I had the option to purchase the 1M instead. But It's a parts bin car.

People spend gazillions on a used 1M as oppose to buying an M2. To each their own.
Weird because 1M has soul and M2 is a rebadged M235i .
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 12:12 AM   #29
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How in God's name is the M2's origin any different? Literally both cars are parts bin cars. Stock non-M engine, M3 underpinnings, wide body.
      10-17-2020, 03:48 AM   #30
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Please explain that. The 1M uses the chassis parts of an E92. The M2 uses chassis parts from an F80.

The 1M has an N54. The M2 has an N55, and then even better, an S55.

Aside from hydraulic steering on the 1M, I see the same cars, with the M2 using improved parts.
jmg18493.00
      10-17-2020, 04:19 AM   #31
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

It'll be interesting to hear his sentiments once a bunch of G8X's are on the road. I agree with much of his sentiment, although I disagree with the car being ugly. It is very "in your face," as it's intended to be. I've already gotten used to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 04:42 AM   #32
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Steering and sound is the only thing the E92 has over the F80. The F80 is lighter, handles better, brakes better, it's faster and performs better in almost all regards. It doesn't sound as good as the V8, and the hydraulic steering is gone which diminishes the driving experience a bit, but the car still communicates the road well enough in comfort mode and the sound can be subjectively "fixed" with the MPE.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
Gertsee51.00
      10-17-2020, 04:44 AM   #33
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It'll be interesting to hear his sentiments once a bunch of G8X's are on the road. I agree with much of his sentiment, although I disagree with the car being ugly. It is very "in your face," as it's intended to be. I've already gotten used to it.
Youve just conformed to its ugliness lol
Appreciate 2
WWM3956.50
OG///M1002.00
      10-17-2020, 05:21 AM   #34
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
It seems you can be in your face AND ugly. I showed my wife the G80 and she just said you're not buying that for our garage. Waiting on the M2 CS to be delivered in Jan now.
Appreciate 4
F87EVO4004.00
Geo_FF140.00
OG///M1002.00
      10-17-2020, 05:57 AM   #35
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Steering and sound is the only thing the E92 has over the F80. The F80 is lighter, handles better, brakes better, it's faster and performs better in almost all regards. It doesn't sound as good as the V8, and the hydraulic steering is gone which diminishes the driving experience a bit, but the car still communicates the road well enough in comfort mode and the sound can be subjectively "fixed" with the MPE.
Right, as I said, it's not an improvement in every single area. Throttle response being another. It's a better performer for sure.

My point is, you can choose an E92 over an F80 and people will get it, even if they don't agree. I don't feel the same way about the 1M and M2.
      10-17-2020, 08:09 AM   #36
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

When I bought my E92 M3 I had the option to buy the 1M as well since initially the dealers here weren't sure it would move.

I regret it 100% but that's in hindsight knowing what I know now.

I had the F80 and currently the M2c and I still think the 1M is more special. Mainly because I rarely see it around but also for what it represents. It's the BMWs version of a skunkworks project kind of similar to the clown shoe.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 08:17 AM   #37
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Very interested to see his driving impressions
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24814.00
      10-17-2020, 08:20 AM   #38
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:
Youve just conformed to its ugliness lol
Lol! I've adjusted to its stark contrast to the F80. I've always liked its Tie Fighter design. I think it's going to mod really well.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:43 AM   #39
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
It is very "in your face," as it's intended to be. I've already gotten used to it.
Quick experiment, tell your significant other that they look very "in your face" and you've gotten used to them and the way they look. See how it goes and, assuming you survive, please report back. I'm curious if they think it is a compliment.
Appreciate 5
stein_325i25051.00
Geo_FF140.00
Jimjamz4536.50
Jockey3434.50
OG///M1002.00
      10-17-2020, 09:45 AM   #40
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

I can't believe I just read that "the M2 is a rebadged M235".

Some people around here
Appreciate 7
F87EVO4004.00
Sedan_Clan24814.00
OG///M1002.00
dmboone254970.50
MDuckie93.00
      10-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #41
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Quote:
It is very "in your face," as it's intended to be. I've already gotten used to it.
Quick experiment, tell your significant other that they look very "in your face" and you've gotten used to them and the way they look. See how it goes and, assuming you survive,, please report back. I'm curious if they think it is a compliment.
I've shown this car to multiple people (...including women I date of have dated, as mentioned in other posts) and they've all liked it. Me stating that it's "in your face" isn't a criticism, but rather an observation of its significantly more aggressive styling relative to the cars that preceded it. The F8X was significantly more aggressive than the car that preceded it, albeit not as much as a G8X v. F8X comparison.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #42
gs1403
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Quote:
Quick experiment, tell your significant other that they look very "in your face" and you've gotten used to them and the way they look. See how it goes and, assuming you survive, please report back. I'm curious if they think it is a compliment.
Lol. I love my F82 for how muscular, wide and aggressive it is, three attributes I would not look for in my significant other.
2023 G82 M4 Competition / Dravit Grey Ind. / Silverstone/Black Full Merino / Carbon Fiber trim / Bi-color 826M / Executive / M Carbon Ceramic Brakes / Icon Adaptive LED Headlights / M Shadowline Lights / M Carbon Exterior
Appreciate 3
Scorp!on1510.00
Geo_FF140.00
BimmerFix1356.50
      10-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #43
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1403 View Post
Lol. I love my F82 for how muscular, wide and aggressive it is, three attributes I would not look for in my significant other.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 11:47 AM   #44
CarbonAlpine
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M4

The F8x is definitely a better looking car. Looks can be subjective but it seems a lot of guys are just telling themselves the g8x is good looking. Just like an ugly chick walking into a bar with her huge tits out, if you are desperate enough for a change you will make it work. Will the ugly chick grow on me?...maybe. But I'm waiting for x-drive and aftermarket solutions to the front-end. I don't blame BMW for going bold, I blame them for going bold using the wrong part of the car, the Iconic kidney grill...they should made the body lines more pronounced, especially g82 wheel arches.

But hey, an ugly chick to me is a runway model for the next guy...so
Previous BMW: E36 Reiger Custom Green vert E46 ///M3 Cabonblack vert E46 ///M3 AW vert E63 645ci AW Coupe E92 ///M3 AW E93 ///M3 SG Vert
Appreciate 3
paliknight2186.50
HotRodM4672.00
prompt292.00