BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

Yesterday, 06:59 PM   #1
lewylew
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

ECU question????

Can I buy an additional tuned ECU and switch back and forth for warranty reasons?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:56 PM   #2
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewylew View Post
Can I buy an additional tuned ECU and switch back and forth for warranty reasons?
Nope. There is no way to be undetectable. Just tune it and have a blast
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:50 AM   #3
ztx84
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

I definitely wouldn't do that. There are all sorts of ways they could tell something had been messed with. You have two choices - tune it and accept that you void some of your warranty, or leave it stock and keep the cover intact. There's no way to have your cake and eat it.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:27 AM   #4
SwankPeRFection
Major
Rep
Drives: S4

The only way that’s not going to “hide” that it’s probably tuned is because the mileage won’t match up between the ECU and the other modules in the car. Technically the cloning and swapping between the two ECUs will functionally work. I don’t believe the ECU reads the updated one and updates itself as you swap between them. If it did, then this would work, as both would start and run the car since they’d be identical from an immobilizer standpoint.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:05 AM   #5
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
The only way that’s not going to “hide” that it’s probably tuned is because the mileage won’t match up between the ECU and the other modules in the car. Technically the cloning and swapping between the two ECUs will functionally work. I don’t believe the ECU reads the updated one and updates itself as you swap between them. If it did, then this would work, as both would start and run the car since they’d be identical from an immobilizer standpoint.
Are you sure the ecu keeps the milage and not the bcm?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:12 AM   #6
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

mileage is definitely stored in multiple places. there will be other discrepancies as well. However, in your favor this is a different level of evidence for BMW than directly detecting a tuned ECU. IF BMW denies a warranty claim due to suspected engine tuning, how far are you willing to take it to fight them on it?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:24 AM   #7
SwankPeRFection
Major
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Are you sure the ecu keeps the milage and not the bcm?
That, I am not. This ECU swap thing works on other cars no issue and without any problems, including no issues with mileage. Would be interesting to try… it’s one of the reasons why I was looking to find an early S58 ecu that wasn’t factory locked off an X3M and use that as the tuned one. Neither FEMTO or BM3 ever wanted to answer some other questions about a couple of other DMEs that are identical hardware inside/out but much cheaper and easier to source, as if it was some big trade secret or some shit. I chalked it up to them being knowledge hoarders for job security. 🙄
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:48 AM   #8
Bay0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: XDrive M4 Comp

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztx84 View Post
I definitely wouldn't do that. There are all sorts of ways they could tell something had been messed with. You have two choices - tune it and accept that you void some of your warranty, or leave it stock and keep the cover intact. There's no way to have your cake and eat it.
Void some of meaning what, the powertrain?
Appreciate 0