Rep
Drives: 2023 m4 xdrive convertible

Garage List
2023 M4 Vert  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2023 m4 vert  [0.00]
2023 m4 convertible   [10.00]
2023 m4 Vert

I am going to be installing intakes soon, would this void a warranty? and how about for a midpipe/downpipe
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 08:07 PM   #2
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeloalain View Post
I am going to be installing intakes soon, would this void a warranty? and how about for a midpipe/downpipe
There is no such thing as voiding a warranty. BMW might refuse a warranty claim if the mod(s) caused the issue.

Anyway those mods could cause something else to break?
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2024, 09:27 AM   #3
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeloalain View Post
Intakes can cause warranty issues with the engine. My recommendation is for people to avoid intakes and downpipes if they're concerned about engine warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 10:29 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Intakes can cause warranty issues with the engine. My recommendation is for people to avoid intakes and downpipes if they're concerned about engine warranty.
That is true in theory, but when did this happen in real life?

OP,
upgrade dont automatically void warranty.
but if your upgrade caused damage, you can't expect BMW to pay for the repair.

Going by the numbers, out of the tens of thousands of forum users with intakes. I can't remember seeing a single thread about a voided warranty. I would not worry with an intake upgrade

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 09:42 AM   #5
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
That is true in theory, but when did this happen in real life?

OP,
upgrade dont automatically void warranty.
but if your upgrade caused damage, you can't expect BMW to pay for the repair.

Going by the numbers, out of the tens of thousands of forum users with intakes. I can't remember seeing a single thread about a voided warranty. I would not worry with an intake upgrade
We've had members on here say they've personally seen it. It's not outside of the realm of possibility, and someone can always be a part of some weird policy change that no one knows is coming or being implemented.

I know you're a business trying to sell products, but OP is trying to be conscious and safe here. We shouldn't be recommending things that can have the possibility of causing warranty issues if they're concerned about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 10:54 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I know you're a business trying to sell products, but OP is trying to be conscious and safe here. We shouldn't be recommending things that can have the possibility of causing warranty issues if they're concerned about it.
It's not about being in the business of selling parts. Your tactic of avoiding a real answer and discrediting me, because I sell parts, is not productive. You are better than this.
We can have a discussion and different opinions without resorting to such tactics.

You mentioned that some members had issues. While I don't recall any issues, I'm not calling you a liar. Perhaps there were cases. However, how many had this issue compared to the hundreds of thousands that did not?

If your argument is that anything can happen, then yes, you're correct. But the odds of getting into an accident and totaling the car seem as likely, if not more so, than having a warranty voided from a downpipe or midpipe. But we are not taking that as a factor

I stated that the customer was at fault if the upgrade caused the damage.

damage from a downpipe or midpipe is unlikely. If we're talking about any possible scenario, then sure, OP can be concerned about everything in life because anything can happen

If we are discussing real data, the odds must be less than 0.01%. and the data does not change whether I sell parts or not. a quick search in the forum with 15 years of history and tens of thousands of thread is evidence on how small the risk is.

Last edited by mike@x-ph.com; 05-18-2024 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 07:27 PM   #7
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
It's not about being in the business of selling parts. Your tactic of avoiding a real answer and discrediting me, because I sell parts, is not productive. You are better than this.
We can have a discussion and different opinions without resorting to such tactics.

You mentioned that some members had issues. While I don't recall any issues, I'm not calling you a liar. Perhaps there were cases. However, how many had this issue compared to the hundreds of thousands that did not?

If your argument is that anything can happen, then yes, you're correct. But the odds of getting into an accident and totaling the car seem as likely, if not more so, than having a warranty voided from a downpipe or midpipe. But we are not taking that as a factor

I stated that the customer was at fault if the upgrade caused the damage.

damage from a downpipe or midpipe is unlikely. If we're talking about any possible scenario, then sure, OP can be concerned about everything in life because anything can happen

If we are discussing real data, the odds must be less than 0.01%. and the data does not change whether I sell parts or not. a quick search in the forum with 15 years of history and tens of thousands of thread is evidence on how small the risk is.
I'm not "avoiding" anything. I gave you the answer. The "real answer" is there have definitely been members that have said they've been denied warranty claims specifically mentioning swapped intakes. It's the same with downpipes.

I'm not "discrediting" you but I also know for a fact that you have this in mind when you offer advice and suggestions to members asking for it. I'm not faulting you at all for it. I would do the same thing as you if I were running a business like yours. You're going to look at this from the perspective of your experience and desire to sell products, and I'm going to look at this from a different perspective. Neither are incorrect but I think context is important here.

Yes I agree with you from the perspective of the downpipe (as I mentioned), but as a non-important part of the engine or emissions system, the midpipe is irrelevant, which is why we don't care about suggesting them to people.

The major difference here is intakes are directly responsible for and very important for proper engine operation so BMW is going to be pretty cautious when something about the intake system has been messed with and the engine starts having problems.

There's no "real data" with percentages because neither of us really know.

The entire point of this is OP (assumedly) wants to be careful about warranty issues given the existence of this thread. "How likely really is it?" is not really a valid counter-argument. Any chance >0% is enough for someone who is worried about it to not want to do it. The correct thing to do would be to not recommend it since that's a concern. If someone came in and said "I want intakes I don't care about warranty," then that's 100% on them and I have no problem with them being recommended some set of intakes.

I love you Mike, but I don't think intakes or a downpipe for OP is the play here.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 10:56 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I love you Mike, but I don't think intakes or a downpipe for OP is the play here.
I'm honestly not trying to sell him anything, but from the numbers, we can tell from the forums and my 15 years of experience in this business, voided warranties from simple mods are unwarranted concerns. That does not make it 0%; nothing in life is 0%.

we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, I love you too buddy

Appreciate 1
Berzerker3114.50
      05-19-2024, 05:06 PM   #9
SwankPeRFection
Major
Rep
Drives: S4

I have a 0% chance of living forever… so you’re wrong. 😜
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2024, 11:13 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
I have a 0% chance of living forever… so you’re wrong. 😜

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 08:04 AM   #11
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21'-x3m40i 23'-m4c 24'-x3mc

Could always just install BMC filters and a decent mid-pipe. Highly unlikely either of those would be blamed if engine has issues....

?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 10:58 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Lou View Post
Could always just install BMC filters and a decent mid-pipe. Highly unlikely either of those would be blamed if engine has issues....

?
+1

Appreciate 0