BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

03-03-2022, 07:09 AM   #1
CigarManNY
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

BMA NA buyout via 3rd party bank on a G80

Hey folks. Let me outline a scenario and just kindly let me know if I can do this:

-I purchase and finance via BMWNA
-Sign the deal, take the car
-My local credit union has much more effective terms

Can I next day for example just go to my credit union and have them buy out the BMWNA loan?

The dealer basically is giving me a deal that is only valid if I go via BMW NA. I want to basically say ok sure and then turn around and just refinance via my credit union.

Thoughts? Thanks folks
      03-03-2022, 07:16 AM   #2
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarManNY View Post
Hey folks. Let me outline a scenario and just kindly let me know if I can do this:

-I purchase and finance via BMWNA
-Sign the deal, take the car
-My local credit union has much more effective terms

Can I next day for example just go to my credit union and have them buy out the BMWNA loan?

The dealer basically is giving me a deal that is only valid if I go via BMW NA. I want to basically say ok sure and then turn around and just refinance via my credit union.

Thoughts? Thanks folks
Pretty sure you need to hold onto the loan with BMW NA for a year. I don't remember everything that happens if you don't, but from a similar situation in my wife's X5, there were repercussion such as having some of the cost I negotiated down was tacked back on.
      03-03-2022, 07:31 AM   #3
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

I have not dealt with BMWfs so far but based on the reports in the forum, they dont have any prepayment penalty and you can pay it off immediately.

Typically, dealers recommend paying off after 90 days. If you pay earlier, dealer wont get their kickback and might not be happy with you.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 07:45 AM   #4
yami sukehiro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
I have not dealt with BMWfs so far but based on the reports in the forum, they dont have any prepayment penalty and you can pay it off immediately.

Typically, dealers recommend paying off after 90 days. If you pay earlier, dealer wont get their kickback and might not be happy with you.
I wonder how many people are even ordering (m cars) from their preferred dealers these days
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2022, 07:46 AM   #5
petrol_phxz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 X-Drive Comp.

Why not just finance through your preferred lender to begin with?

Also, in the scenario you mentioned the car might then be considered "used" which usually comes with rates that differ from "new" cars or it might be considered a re-finance which again, comes with different rates.
Driving: 2022 M3CX | Skyscraper Grey | Full leather Silverstone Interior | Carbon Fiber Trim | M Carbon Bucket Seats | Parking Pack | Executive Pack | Laser Lights | M Shadowline Lights | 826M Jet Black Wheels | Red Calipers
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2022, 07:49 AM   #6
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yami sukehiro View Post
I wonder how many people are even ordering (m cars) from their preferred dealers these days
Anyone who has an allocation becomes the preferred dealer
Appreciate 2
Ibiza3649.50
      03-03-2022, 07:49 AM   #7
CigarManNY
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_phxz View Post

Also, in the scenario you mentioned the car might then be considered "used" which usually comes with rates that differ from "new" cars or it might be considered a re-finance which again, comes with different rates.
Very good point thank you. To answer your question, the dealer is telling me they won't "honor" the deal if I bring outside financing ... ie they won't be getting the kickback via the BMWFS loan. Trust me, I would much prefer to do this with outside financing from the beginning.

They have the consumer by the throat and they know it.. really a shame as this will continue for potentially years to come.
      03-03-2022, 07:51 AM   #8
yami sukehiro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_phxz View Post

Very good point thank you. To answer your question, the dealer is telling me they won't "honor" the deal if I bring outside financing ... ie they won't be getting the kickback via the BMWFS loan. Trust me, I would much prefer to do this with outside financing from the beginning.

They have the consumer by the throat and they know it.. really a shame as this will continue for potentially years to come.
I've never heard a dealer say no to a cash deal, interesting
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 08:43 AM   #9
Bimmer5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post

This ^^^
      03-03-2022, 09:36 AM   #10
razman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blah

Quote:

You don't tell them you're getting outside financing. You just saying you're buying the car outright. The check you hand over will be a cashier's check from your credit union instead of a personal check.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 09:50 AM   #11
M4CompConv/X7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Conv & BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yami sukehiro View Post
I live in FL, but found an allocation in Mobile AL.
So, NO.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 12:04 PM   #12
BugKiller
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M4Cx cvt

No to cash; make at least 3 payments

I found two allocations: MSRP+$7.5k or MSRP+Loan, pursued the latter.

Told the CA I could pay cash and was told no, had to use BMW Financial but (in a conspiratorial tone of voice) that I could pay off the loan in three months. My plan is to make a massive down payment and pay off in exactly three months, which will be a lot cheaper than the $7.5k over MSRP deal.

Financial hint #1: If you need a loan, get a home equity line of credit and use it to buy whatever. Interest on a home loan is tax deductible, interest on a car and many student loans is not. Used this only once, to buy a car and pay off my last law school student loan in the 1990's.

Financial hint #2: If you own a business and can justify what you are buying as a business expense (my tax accountant said I could have done this with my C63s but I already have an audit bullseye on my back so I didn't) you can use a business line of credit and the interest is a deductible business expense.

Everything listed below I bought for cash. As Mel Brooks said, "Its good to be the King."

Last edited by BugKiller; 03-03-2022 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Grammer corrections
Appreciate 0