BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-10-2024, 09:10 PM   #45
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3YEC View Post
It’s a very tight fit and limits your rear view mirror movement a bit but it works for me.
M3YEC It looks like you have FitcamX model 3 with the mirror tap? Any tips on installing?. I can’t get everything to fit and still get the two halves together. I think part of the problem is that I also have the rear camera cable to deal with. Ugh, frustrated the hell out of me this afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 09:45 PM   #46
GolfCoyote
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
M3YEC It looks like you have FitcamX model 3 with the mirror tap? Any tips on installing?. I can’t get everything to fit and still get the two halves together. I think part of the problem is that I also have the rear camera cable to deal with. Ugh, frustrated the hell out of me this afternoon.
I just installed mine and ended up ditching the rear camera all together because of the plug.

I was sweating trying to get this stupid thing to clamp shut. The plastic clips almost act like metal and will bend and not return to origins position so make sure your clips are all straight. I tucked the factory and tape wrapped wiring on the left half and the red connector and wire along the right half. After a bunch of trial and error I got it all the clips to lock into place.

I honestly don’t know how you’d get it all to fit with the rear cam cable without making it look sloppy. Wish I hadn’t bought the rear cam.
      05-11-2024, 01:30 AM   #47
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I have the rear camera and a blend mount with R8…
It can be done and mine wasn’t hard to do. Not sure what is going on with yours.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2024, 09:33 PM   #48
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfCoyote View Post
I just installed mine and ended up ditching the rear camera all together because of the plug.

I was sweating trying to get this stupid thing to clamp shut. The plastic clips almost act like metal and will bend and not return to origins position so make sure your clips are all straight. I tucked the factory and tape wrapped wiring on the left half and the red connector and wire along the right half. After a bunch of trial and error I got it all the clips to lock into place.

I honestly don’t know how you’d get it all to fit with the rear cam cable without making it look sloppy. Wish I hadn’t bought the rear cam.
I know what you mean. The clips aren’t as robust as the factory piece.

I followed something I found on a video: I left the power plug unplugged from the camera and left all wires hanging out, including the mirror tap, and got the halves snapped together. I did bend / break one clip but it was in the middle toward the top so the bigger cover pulls it all together. But once I got the two outer halves together, I plugged in the power and then the rear camera and got it all working. On like the 4th or 5th try.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 09:37 PM   #49
GolfCoyote
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I know what you mean. The clips aren’t as robust as the factory piece.

I followed something I found on a video: I left the power plug unplugged from the camera and left all wires hanging out, including the mirror tap, and got the halves snapped together. I did bend / break one clip but it was in the middle toward the top so the bigger cover pulls it all together. But once I got the two outer halves together, I plugged in the power and then the rear camera and got it all working. On like the 4th or 5th try.
Ahh interesting, wouldn’t have thought to do that.
How did you run the rear cam wire, floor or headliner?
      05-12-2024, 01:49 PM   #50
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ahh interesting, wouldn’t have thought to do that.
How did you run the rear cam wire, floor or headliner?
Headliner. I popped off the A pillar trim and got it behind there, then behind the window trim. The only janky spot is the b pillar trim....,it doesn't quite feed into the gap between trim and headliner completely , so you can kind of see it.

All in all pretty clean. I mounted the camera on the drivers side of the CHMSL. Only thing I'm not happy about there is that the view is off center. If I had realized I would have twisted the mount a bit. I also found a video for removing the CHMSL trim and it made for a nice spot to coil up the extra cable although it's rattling a bit. Need some foam tape but that'll be an easy fix.

All in, this camera is...ok. I'd only buy it for super stealth install. If you value video quality, go for another. It's not bad. But it's not top of the line, no matter the "4K" rating. No Sony Starvis sensor after all. But...it's super stealthy. Camera on dash looks like just another ADAS camera with the other three right above it. And that's pretty awesome.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 01:52 PM   #51
GolfCoyote
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Headliner. I popped off the A pillar trim and got it behind there, then behind the window trim. The only janky spot is the b pillar trim....,it doesn't quite feed into the gap between trim and headliner completely , so you can kind of see it.

All in all pretty clean. I mounted the camera on the drivers side of the CHMSL. Only thing I'm not happy about there is that the view is off center. If I had realized I would have twisted the mount a bit. I also found a video for removing the CHMSL trim and it made for a nice spot to coil up the extra cable although it's rattling a bit. Need some foam tape but that'll be an easy fix.

All in, this camera is...ok. I'd only buy it for super stealth install. If you value video quality, go for another. It's not bad. But it's not top of the line, no matter the "4K" rating. No Sony Starvis sensor after all. But...it's super stealthy. Camera on dash looks like just another ADAS camera with the other three right above it. And that's pretty awesome.
Ahhh ok. One of these weekends when I’m looking for a project I might give the rear camera another shot.
And ya I agree, the only reason to get this is for the cleaner “stealthy” look. The app isn’t half bad either, very basic.
      05-13-2024, 09:06 AM   #52
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh ok. One of these weekends when I’m looking for a project I might give the rear camera another shot.
And ya I agree, the only reason to get this is for the cleaner “stealthy” look. The app isn’t half bad either, very basic.
Yeah, I bought a Viofo A119 plus front only for my son's car. It's not the greatest either as it keeps freezing up forcing me to re-load firmware to get it to work. But it's got the Starvis 2 sensor and if you look in the app there are WAY more settings for HDR, low light compensation, etc. Basically this camera just has the one adjustment for "exposure compensation" and that's it. Not so robust.

This video is where I got the idea for leaving everything unplugged. It's an X3 but has the same "Type C" setup that I have:

This was the video that helped me with removing the CHMSL cover. I will say that his description of how to remove it is a little....wrong. But seeing everything there helped.

He describes it as "pulling down the upholstery (the headliner) and then getting your finger in to release the black tab. Well...I guess you could. But that's not really what you are meant to do. The real way to do it is to reach your fingers (or two trim tools) toward the back (you could do one side at a time) from the sides, and pull straight down. Firmly, but not super firm. You're not expecting the whole trim piece to detach. What you are expecting is those white fasteners to release. The whole piece will then come down about 1" from the back. The front stays attached due to those tabs, and the rear stays attached due to the black clips. But once you yank it down a bit, you can then get your fingers or a tool in to push back on those black tabs to release each one. Then you just pull it out from the tabs at the front.

Appreciate 1
      05-13-2024, 12:52 PM   #53
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, I bought a Viofo A119 plus front only for my son's car. It's not the greatest either as it keeps freezing up forcing me to re-load firmware to get it to work. But it's got the Starvis 2 sensor and if you look in the app there are WAY more settings for HDR, low light compensation, etc. Basically this camera just has the one adjustment for "exposure compensation" and that's it. Not so robust.

This video is where I got the idea for leaving everything unplugged. It's an X3 but has the same "Type C" setup that I have:

This was the video that helped me with removing the CHMSL cover. I will say that his description of how to remove it is a little....wrong. But seeing everything there helped.

He describes it as "pulling down the upholstery (the headliner) and then getting your finger in to release the black tab. Well...I guess you could. But that's not really what you are meant to do. The real way to do it is to reach your fingers (or two trim tools) toward the back (you could do one side at a time) from the sides, and pull straight down. Firmly, but not super firm. You're not expecting the whole trim piece to detach. What you are expecting is those white fasteners to release. The whole piece will then come down about 1" from the back. The front stays attached due to those tabs, and the rear stays attached due to the black clips. But once you yank it down a bit, you can then get your fingers or a tool in to push back on those black tabs to release each one. Then you just pull it out from the tabs at the front.

Might want to request a replacement. My A119 has been perfect for about 8 months now.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 09:34 PM   #54
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Might want to request a replacement. My A119 has been perfect for about 8 months now.
I have already contacted customer service and followed the procedures they asked me to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 09:42 PM   #55
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
I have already contacted customer service and followed the procedures they asked me to do.
Does that include getting a replacement? lol
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 08:55 AM   #56
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Does that include getting a replacement? lol
I asked for a replacement after issue #2. They told me to reload the software again. I have not asked after the third time.
Appreciate 0