BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

05-22-2024, 08:04 AM   #23
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS, 991.1 C2Sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I listened to most of their discussion regarding this topic this morning on their podcast. It was straight garbage. Matt said "the G80 is way faster and more capable, but less fun". OK......again, you're talking about a manual RWD vs. a Comp xDrive. Drive the manual (they did, and they weren't blown away IIRC). I mean, I get it Matt, it's not your type of car. But if you're comparing apples to apples, a used F80 with a manual vs. a new G80 manual isn't a $50k vs. $100k discussion as they say. It's much closer. Yes, they have a point that you could take an F80 and mod the suspension and rectify it's biggest shortcoming and still be cheaper than a G80. But...then you are getting into the new vs. used, old tech vs. new tech, no warranty vs. warranty, ability to get a loan vs. cash, etc. Its....just not the greatest comparison. I think a better comparison is...used F80 with mods at $50k or new something else you can buy for $50k?
You are too emotional about this, understandably so.
Yet, in another thread you’re comparing the 991.1 vs G80 (or was it you?)

The bottom line is:
1) the technology of the G vs F has advanced and it matters if you got the vehicle for the technology. I absolutely did not and have not used 80% of it during 10 months of ownership. Yes, large Nav display was awesome but in the end, I followed the same arrow turns as I did back on the Nav in my 2006 120d…. Same AC quality, same crappy HK, same seats movement options. Yes, it is nice and convenient that you can adjust every setting in the G80, but I had no complaints on the given F80 settings. Why the hell would I need ambient lighting or closing the trunk by pushing the button…but no option to open the trunk with your foot motion that I had on my F80??
HUD?? Blah, expected more from the latest gen, nothing more than what I already had in the G80.
2) comfort - the G80 is way ahead of the F80 — seats are more comfortable, the cabin layout is modern and inviting but the whole thing grew so much, it was too big
3) the engine. I still preferred the S55 vs the S58 stock for stock for daily driving. Both were too much for the RWD options, but the S55 did have the wild factor that I missed with the S58.
4) the looks…subjective. I liked both in a different way. The direction BMW is taking with the next designs maybe tells us that this “one off” may have not been adopted internally?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 10:28 AM   #24
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M View Post
You are too emotional about this, understandably so.
Yet, in another thread you’re comparing the 991.1 vs G80 (or was it you?)

The bottom line is:
1) the technology of the G vs F has advanced and it matters if you got the vehicle for the technology. I absolutely did not and have not used 80% of it during 10 months of ownership. Yes, large Nav display was awesome but in the end, I followed the same arrow turns as I did back on the Nav in my 2006 120d…. Same AC quality, same crappy HK, same seats movement options. Yes, it is nice and convenient that you can adjust every setting in the G80, but I had no complaints on the given F80 settings. Why the hell would I need ambient lighting or closing the trunk by pushing the button…but no option to open the trunk with your foot motion that I had on my F80??
HUD?? Blah, expected more from the latest gen, nothing more than what I already had in the G80.
2) comfort - the G80 is way ahead of the F80 — seats are more comfortable, the cabin layout is modern and inviting but the whole thing grew so much, it was too big
3) the engine. I still preferred the S55 vs the S58 stock for stock for daily driving. Both were too much for the RWD options, but the S55 did have the wild factor that I missed with the S58.
4) the looks…subjective. I liked both in a different way. The direction BMW is taking with the next designs maybe tells us that this “one off” may have not been adopted internally?
Eh, not sure why you're saying I'm overly emotional about it? I just hate useless comparisons that are clearly for views (I listen to his podcast, they admit that they are struggling to keep developing relevant YouTube content to keep ahead of the algorithm). No one is shopping for a $95k G80 and thinks...I might be better off spending $55k on an F80. The comparison is....I'm thinking of spending $55k on a new car, would a used F80 at the same price be a better buy?

Also, I didn't compare the G80 and the 991.1, someone else asked about it and since I have owned both, I thought I'd weigh in on direct thoughts. You can compare the two but they aren't the same thing, which is what I stated. I also have a LOT of driving experience in 991.2's so having owned a .1 and driven many .2's I also have my thoughts on the differences between those two.

You clearly didn't enjoy your G80 that much and are having a much better experience with your Macan. I would disagree with you on many of the the points you have made G80 vs. Macan but that's what makes the world go round, otherwise we'd all be driving beige CamCords. Bottom line is all cars are compromises, buy the one that makes you happy and fits your use case and set of criteria the best. In the end, it doesn't make me like my G80 any less to hear that you like your Macan better. Likewise I don't like my G80 any less because Matt came up with lame excuses to create a YouTube video. But as an engineer and a practical person, I personally dislike illogical comparisons done solely to create a buck.
Appreciate 1
snyder268184.50
      05-22-2024, 11:12 AM   #25
christianb5s4
Captain
Rep
Drives: Built 2001 Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
He grew up in this area, Greenwich, CT, but while I usually find his stuff objective, for some reason everything here is the opposite.
I don't mind opinions, that's what makes reviews interesting. But if you really want to see the lengths Matt Farah will go to with personal bias, just watch his Drive reviews of the B5 S4.
      05-23-2024, 08:14 AM   #26
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M View Post
As one of us who owned 2x F80s and 1x F87 and 1x G80, I got bored with the G80 fairly quickly. Every day driving, it is too tamed, to insulated and no rawness at all. The F8x cars had that S55 low-end wild side + much less insulation and much more rawness.

The G80 was better handling and much more fun both times I pushed it during my 10 months of ownership. I had no other opportunities to experience it that way...

After the initial (2020) "unsure about the looks" phase, I did not think that either of them looked better than the other. The G80 was a more modern look, I liked it. But toooooo big and long. The F80 is that timeless look, not outdated, but does look outdated next to the G80
It's funny because I feel the opposite coming from an F80 and OG M2. While my F80 was gorgeous, I don't miss it even a little bit. Sounded terrible (before the times of EL exhausts and whatnot) the steering felt odd and DCT made the daily drive too boring. I liked my interior color (gold brown) but I never liked the design of the F series cars interior; much preferred the e9x in that regard. Yea the power delivery was fun being kind of spikey and a bit of a handful but overall it just didn't do it for me.

The M2 was a lot of fun, though and a great daily for the time I had it. No fuss - simple, basic car, sounded great and looked pretty good.

The G80, to me, does everything better for my use case.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 3
bri10426570.50
BimmerFix1724.50
      05-24-2024, 09:05 AM   #27
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
No one is shopping for a $95k G80 and thinks...I might be better off spending $55k on an F80. The comparison is....I'm thinking of spending $55k on a new car, would a used F80 at the same price be a better buy?
I think people do cross shop both on the used market. I've seen many posts on the F80 board with people looking at a lightly used G80 comp and the f80 CS. Same with the F87 comps/cs and new G87 m2.

quite a few buyers have the cash for a F80/82 CS purchase... but are wondering if its 'worth having a loan / depreciation' to get a G-series.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT

Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | F87 M2c | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2024, 11:59 AM   #28
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: iXM60, CLE53AMG, X7 40i

Garage List
24 Mercedes CLE53 AMG  [9.00]
24 BMW iXM60  [8.75]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
I see an uncool, grumpy old man searching for complaints and finding the interior the main problem.

And a skinny dude unsure of himself or unwilling to argue with the old man who takes issue with the look of the g80.

I’ve followed smoking tire for a while, so I’m not surprised.

My opinion having had both gens- the competition manual f80, comp x g80 and manual g80: the g80 is better in every way.

If you want a $60k used f80, there are a lot of options at that price point.
Appreciate 3
BimmerFix1724.50
Needsdecaf7862.00
Jim B1959.50
      06-22-2024, 10:11 PM   #29
MJBO
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
I very much enjoyed my F82 M4, but my G81 M3T is better in every way.

As others have said, if you’re shopping for a new M3, you’re not shopping for an old used one for 1/3 of the price (here in Aus anyway).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bri10426570.50