06-25-2023, 01:51 PM   #53
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
Good synopsis.
What do you think about Toyota’s solid state EV battery?

Supposedly a true game changer with ~1,000 mile range and a 5min charge… with Toyota quality?

Could put Tesla to pasture if real imo.
Everyone is chasing the solid state battery, but until then, I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Disagree on a couple of details, but my major quibble is that a road trip in a Tesla offers stress, complexity and extra time.

A simple 5 hour trip turns into a 6.5 PITA because of the need to charge twice.

There are other reasons why I ditched my M3P including phantom braking, sudden and unexplained power reduction that was actually dangerous on two occasions, poor communications regarding service, etc.

But what really pushed me over the edge was the problem with longer trips.

My M4CX totally kicks the M3P's ass, and I would not have looked back if it wasn't for this thread popping up in my feed.
Meh, I road tripped the Tesla plenty, and never really had much range anxiety, or stress from added time. I will say that last fall I rented a Model Y and encountered some very slow charging time which was annoying. Never was able to get above 65 kWh at multiple stations. I wonder if Hertz nerfs the charging speed on their cars. I'm not sure if I checked the charging settings or not.

But even with that, in an area where I've never owned an EV it wasn't bad.

Now having said that, if I were doing a bunch of trips, I kind of agree with you, I probably wouldn't get an EV. I'd say about 6 hours is the max I would do on a REGULAR basis. I used to do 4 hour runs from Houston to Dallas and back in the same day. Two charging stops one up and one back and while I added probably an extra 45 minutes to an hour of charging time during the day, it was fine. Allowed me to stop and stretch, take a break. Really added no additional stress and didn't really extend my trip at all.
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50