View Single Post
      09-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #1
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Saw the M3/M4 today

Just got done with BMW track day in Indy. They had the m3 isle of Man and the m4 San Paulo yellow. They have it in a well curtained off area where they take all your stuff and then wand you with a metal detector. the room was not exactly well lit.

Overall the car is fine. Not super sexy and not hideously ugly. Definitely looks larger. side profile looks pretty nice. I hate it when people make these comparisons, but kind of reminded me of a an Audi A/S5. The grilles are pretty much as everyone has seen them. They are permanently open and not active as on the regular 4 series. really didn't look drastically different in person. They said pretty much 100% of the people's reactions on seeing them is "oh, I guess they don't look that bad or as bad as I was thinking." I suppose as time goes on they are becoming less hideous because I am getting numb to them but I still don't like them. The black grilles were a nice contrast to the bright San Paulo yellow. I'd be curious to see that color out in bright sunlight.

The new M mirrors look horrible. They are as depicted in that latest iteration on here. They are very squared off and really pretty ugly compared to the current mirrors.

The loss of the power dome hood is noticeable and unfortunate even though I know that it is not needed for the engine anymore. I guess we'll have to see how it looks compared to the regular four series, if you can really tell much of a difference with the scallops out towards the front.

The rear looks really large and squared off. At least standing close to it didn't seem that attractive . They said it looks like the 8 but I just drove a bunch of m8's and they are way more sexy.

the side vents almost look like an afterthought. kind of small like on the M2.

I really like the wheels. Both of them had all black wheels. I think I might prefer the two-tone but we'll see.

I was hoping to walk in and see it and say, "Now that's hot! That's absolutely going to be my next car! Way better than in the online pics!" Unfortunately, my reaction was, "It looks pretty nice. About what it looked like online. I guess I'll probably get one since there really isn't any similar coupe in the same ballpark."

Side note, the m8 is really sexy. I pictured is being a lot larger but it kind of seems about the size of the current six series.
Attached Images

Last edited by snareman; 09-16-2020 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 5
solstice5456.50
JTO245271.50
ando2000.50