View Single Post
      12-31-2020, 05:26 AM   #1
b2nvs2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I’ve decided not to order one - how about you?

I'm certain if people's reaction to the G80 has evolved quickly. Personally, I promised myself that I'd put my money where my mouth is.

I'm certain you can track my evolution in feelings for this car from vitriol when I first saw the spy shots to thinking I was going through the 5 stages of grief and temporarily coming to a place of understanding and acceptance of why the car looked the way it did back in July.

Since then, however, I have started to love the looks more and more and feel that this car's design, while still flawed, is exceptionally aggressive and dare I say different? So there I was, and before I knew it, I put down a deposit for the first allocation in line at my local dealer in September/October. I built out the car to be delivered in late January 2021.

Have to admit though, this tale sadly never ended in the love story I thought it would be. As details about G80 came out (or the lack thereof), I was somewhat dismayed. First hearing about the weight pushing 4000lbs was concerning. Then, the non-existent reviews regarding the car including exceptionally important details such as steering feel, exhaust note and overall driving appeal never materialized and was to my dismay.

Hate to say it, the ultimate nail in the coffin for me was the marketing. I definitely wrangled with the feelings that it didn't matter who bmw was marketing this car for and that as long as this car was amazing all would be good. But, at least for me, ultimately weighing an almost 90k proposition of "what ifs" of driving appeal/weight against the expectations and the assumptions that people should have with this car based on the marketing and branding was too big of a pill to swallow for me.

So, with regret, I cancelled my allocation. I've had a long standing relation with my client advisor at bmw and we both are enthusiastic about cars and through the years we've definitely gotten to know what we love about bmws. To segway quickly, when I was looking for an e90 m3 back in 2014, he helped me track down and buy a pristine used 2011.75 manual competition with 2k miles in Colorado sight unseen back and helped with the early lease return back in my state while the new car was transported to me. I have this car to this day and love it still!

Funnily enough, this time, when I called him to cancel, he didn't say he was surprised! I told him I'd revisit the situation after I saw and possible test drove the car (even if that would be in a few years based on demand). Interestingly, he said that it made sense to wait and unfortunately he didn't have enough sense regarding the particulars of the car to sway me in either direction.

I'm sure my allocation disappeared the moment it let it go! But there it is - thats my story as it stands currently.

So wanted your opinions - where you folks at with regards to the your G80 journey?
Appreciate 6
zamboni1132.00
LSM1118.00
Imola3323.50
GlNib0.00