View Single Post
      10-14-2021, 04:29 AM   #42
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
Honestly I think BMW's not promoting the xDrive as much or sharing it with the reviewers because they don't want to cannibalize their RWD market. Coming from the 2016 M4 (pre-ZCP), driving the G80 xDrive literally made me feel like there was something wrong with the M4. And there is... the M4 slid literally everywhere before I upgraded the PSS tires to the PS4S. And even the PS4S couldn't handle a mild tune with BM3 at stage 1. There was so much low end torque that it was possible to do a drift at every turn. It was fun to drift but nothing else beyond that, it couldn't do a launch control without swerving left and right, I couldn't put any power down for fear of the rear end sliding out, I couldn't turn very well either because of the lack of control of the rear end. I knew that my next M will have to be an xDrive, especially after testing the M5 with the same xDrive and knowing that I will be eventually tuning it.

The moment I got the G80 xDrive I knew there was a huge difference, even during the test drive when I picked up my car at the dealership. There was so much more control, usable horsepower, grip, emotion, and driver involvement. It's not as boring to drive at all, and even when compared to a GTR which I rented before it felt more alive. The MDM is fantastic, and feels like every turn I make it allows just the right about of slippage just like a RWD. It allows me to concentrate on the driving experience rather than focusing on keeping the car not sliding out all the time. It's not a fair comparison to say the least.

I was previously thinking of a 911, but I really doubt that a $150k 911 C2S/C4S will perform even 10% better than the G80 xDrive. Even with testing the 991.2 C2S with my M4 I wasn't really impressed by it. At most it would be a side grade not an upgrade for the Porsche brand. To get something that's clearly an upgrade beyond the G80 xDrive you would really have to go all out and get the $200k GT3 or Turbo, plus the G80 doubles as a practical and usable daily driver with 4 doors. Tell me what 4 door sports sedan can compete right now (not counting the new Cadillac CT5-V/CT4-V offerings, but I really don't like their mundane exteriors and it's not AWD). The xDrive IMO is the only way to drive the new gen M's and BMW really hit it out of the park with this one.
That read like a article in a magazine. Thanks for that. Having owned the RWD G80 and traded it in on a build of the AWD i’m finally in production. Should be a couple more months before I get it but I’m really excited. Thanks for your comments.
Appreciate 1