Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola3 View Post
Because $$$$

99.98% of miles that M3/4s are driven it doest matter if it has a DCT vs a regular auto. The DCTs cost more, are heavier (worse for emissions in that regard), break more often, and from what I've heard less comfortable day to day.

It's an easy place for BMW to save money.
Based on the street logic, it would make more sense to get a Mercedes C63 if I wanted a slush auto RWD; it would ride better and have better interior. Funny enough, the AMG 9-speed's manual shifts are much crispier and quicker than any iteration of ZF8 on the market. I don't care about tranny for AWD models because I will never buy AWD M3 so they can put whatever slush box they want.

But if BMW thinks it could get away with ZF8 because most customers don't have sufficient technical knowledge to understand the difference, they are gravely mistaken. Anyone who's used a paddle shifter will immediately feel the much slower response and numb engagement of ZF vs. DCT.

BMW M's core strengths were that it felt like a supercar/racecar at times at less than a third of the price, and these cars are not just about the speed. There are plenty cars faster than F40 but people don't necessarily rate them higher than the Ferrari. It's the exotic experience that separates the great from the good.

Plain speed is boring.
pbar1380.50