kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
I just got home after test-driving an X3M Competition and an M2 Competition at the M Town Tour. (the M5 Comp was broken)

I can say with confidence that I will not be buying a new M3 if it drives anything like the X3M. The transmission was *awful*.

I had the car in the the most aggressive shift mode, sport plus throttle, suspension and steering. I didn't bother the the 'Auto' mode - just tried to drive it using the paddles the same way I drive my M4.
However, it just wouldn't change gears when I wanted it to. In addition, there was essentially no audio feedback when I shifted, so I kept having to look for the number on the cluttered digital dash to see 'did it change yet'? 'What gear am I in?' There was much less engine braking than the F82 for the same gear (and it's an 8 speed so I would have expected shorter ratios). Oh, and this may seem a trivial thing, but to me the paddle shifters themselves feel like big clunky lumps of plastic (like you're not really supposed to be using them)

Add to that the fact that the steering feel was non-existent and the turbo lag was really noticeable. It just wasn't close to being a driver's car and I have no idea how they could put an 'M' badge on this thing.

In contrast, the M2 Competition was a bunch of fun. Felt light and nimble... changed gear when I wanted it to. But somehow a little less responsive on the throttle than my M4 Comp (perhaps because I'm running wider PS4S tires and tend to drive with MDM to reduce traction control intervention? - they insisted I left DSC on in the M2)

I could probably be tempted to buy an M2 Comp if only it had a head-up-display.

But the most fun I had all day was the drive home in my own car, enjoying the DCT throttle blips and exhaust burbles in the corners and in the tunnels.
You have to give that feedback to the guys promoting the M tour.