11-13-2022, 10:14 PM   #40
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung05 View Post
Interesting that a lot of the replies here suggest that they went with the G8x because it was the "best compromise" of some combination of price, practicality, availability, engagement and performance (not necessarily in that order). But, if there didn't need to be compromises, most people probably would've ended up with something different.

Maybe not that surprising since that is kind of the M3's calling card - being good/great at most things, but a master of none.

I am currently #1 on my dealer's waiting list, and am seriously reconsidering whether I want to go through with the order.

One factor is that the 2023's have iDrive 8 and I really dislike how the extra large screen looks. I was intending to order the car in the base, RWD manual configuration to keep it more of a purist spec that would be one of the last of its kind (and hopefully age well), but iDrive 8 kind of goes against that.

Another factor is just the amount of time I've been waiting on this list - and it's kind of dulled the desire a bit.

Finally, it's reading threads like these that have me second guessing. I had intended this to be the last desirable (ICE) car I was going to have an opportunity to order fresh from the factory, configured exactly the way I wanted it. However, now I'm not so sure that I want my "last" ICE car to be one that is essentially the "best compromise" instead of something that I truly think is special.

It'd be very different IMO if the death of ICE cars weren't on the horizon, and I knew that if I didn't like the M3, I could always get something else instead. I guess FOMO cuts both ways.....
911 is a 2nd car… will always be a 2nd car or 3rd
Appreciate 1
bri10425941.50