11-08-2022, 09:24 AM   #32
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBII G82 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
When I was shopping for a car, the options were very varied, so it makes me even more glad I chose the M4 in the end. The options were: a 2021 C63s, 2020+ AMG GT, M8, C8, and a .2 Carrera S.

I've had history with Mercedes, and I was driving one at the time so I figured why not. When I was testing both the GT and the C63s, the V8 sound was great but it wasn't as great as my last c63s with the 6.2. Besides that, I started getting a little winded dealing with Mercedes and it felt like lateral movements with no excitement.

The M8 comp I tried out was great. I enjoyed the sound as it was a little different from the AMG's. Blisteringly quick in a straight line and had some competence around corners. It was definitely top of my list until I saw the M4 I own now in the show room.

C8, I couldn't justify the huge markup accompanied with the huge wait time for a stingray. Great piece of engineering from America, but rolling them out was a mess.

991.1 and .2 Carrera S... It pains me to give these cars negative feedback but I didn't end up buying them did I? I was leaning for a .1 because of the NA flat 6 so I tried out a 2012 and damn... it might have been fun then, but I got more enjoyment driving the M4 through and through. I also think a part of it is because the .1s and .2s were a huge part of my car enthusiast exposure growing up. I've driven them a lot, so I guess sitting back in the saddle didn't feel any different. This was also during peak covid, so pricing was insulting. The 2012 ran for $98k with 40k miles on it. As we all know, infotainment isn't exactly Porsche's MO. Even compared with cars of its time, it felt old. So compared to everything else I test drove at the time, it felt even older. I thought that if it's gonna feel like this, I might as well have gotten the 997. To be honest, I don't know why I didn't do exactly that.

Anyways, the M4 had the package I was looking for. Technology, driver engagement, wonderful fun, looks, and sound. I know that the looks are subjective and that the sound isn't as good as the v8s. But it sounded good enough for me, and I used to own the 6.2 lol

It was pretty tight between the M8 and the M4, but ultimately I had more fun driving the M4 than the M8.
Appreciate 2