Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/G80 M3 Comp on Ord

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
2010 BMW 335 M Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
You are asking the wrong guy. I wear $30 jeans and $50 sweaters because they get the job done. When they wear out in a year, I donate them and get a new one. I don't care about name brands or fashion trends. I wear New Balances because they are comfortable. I am not a sneaker head nor will I ever will be because I like to get my shoes dirty and worn out by using them. 500 GSM cotton means nothing to me because I can buy 4-5 of similar enough looking items at the retail store made of a polyester cotton blend. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate well made items, and if you want to spend $140 on a sweater, I would never take that away from you. I have a $400 jacket that I love, but those items are few and far between the costco specials I normally get. I will never shop at KITH because a $160 hoodie with a Native American style print in turquoise is not my style. I'm not trying to impress anyone with $55 Lucky Charms gloves. WTF is that anyway?!

Exactly. It doesn't take a genius to use the M colors on the seats then slap a giant KITH logo on the roof. Again, if walmart did it no one would care, but Kith has "followers". It's a cult of personality. It might as well be a Kim Kardashian edition for all I care.

I didn't say it was going away.

It doesn't have to, and yet I don't have to like it, nor does it have to revolve or even target me. Voicing my opinion isn't going to make it go away. I would not be so narcissistic to think that it will. Nevertheless, I will voice my opinion.

Again, I understand the strategy. I am also in my 40's, I've had many bimmers and several M cars. As someone who has a career in media, I know that I am no longer the target demographic. In the past 7 years I've had 7 new bimmers. Like you, I will probably be getting another for my wife in 3 months and I will be shopping for my F80 replacement later this year and then a commuter replacement for my i3 next year. I was hoping the G80 would be in my garage regardless of the questionable marketing because in the end ad agencies make the ad and the engineers make the car. Oops, they lost their long time M head engineer Albert Biermann. This brings me to my last, and most important point:

All this effort to capture a new audience with edgy marketing, youth oriented social media friendly strategies, bold designs and "collabs" with influencers, and they forgot about the car itself.

Any questionable marketing strategies would easily forgiven if the G80 looked beautiful and continued the spirit of what the M3/4 has stood for. You don't have to make a car bigger and heavier to appeal to a new audience. That already existed in the M5.
Well stated and fair point.
Appreciate 2
jmg18705.00