View Single Post
      07-02-2021, 12:00 AM   #21
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
I finally received a couple of sets of rear pads last week, and had them installed by my shop (not dealer service) yesterday. I can report definitively that it is not necessary to use a laptop to retract the caliper piston when changing these pads. It is still more of a PITA than the good old Brembo's, but at least you do not have to go all high tech.

At first the tech tried using a laptop, but was not able to enter the menu to do so on the car. He called a friend over at the local dealership for help and was told that he would need the latest and greatest service software update from BMW for these cars. Rather than waste any more time he broke out a tool set for doing this job manually. I have seen a U Tube video somewhere on this forum where a guy uses this same tool to change pads on an X5. It really works. The car remembers the last position of the piston, and no code was thrown. Just button everything up, pump the brake pedal a few times, and your on your way. In my case that means Sebring next week, and it's about damn time!
Looking at my copy of ISTA+ that has g8x manuals they don't even say to connect a laptop. BMW has a special air powered piston compressor which is 200USD but seems to work well.
Appreciate 0