06-17-2021, 02:13 PM   #11
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
I have a contact at Ferrodo who I can ask if/when they plan to produce a track pad for thr G8x. I have been intentionally delaying my upgrade from F80 to G80 until more wheels and pads are available. For those tracking, how are the brakes performing generally (ignoring the lack of appropriate pad compounds)? someone in another section thought that the rear brakes were actuating even with MDM and TC off. any truth?

Also, does swapping the front pads use the same procedure as on the F80? e.g.: 2 pins holding a spring loaded clip?

what about rear? does the caliper need to be removed? sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.
Ferrodo DS2500's have been my go to pads on my former 2019 440i for the 2 1/2 years I owned and tracked it. Just looked back through my records, and I did 52 track days with that car which should tell you how much I like them. Only 3 track days of use, but perform like an anchor, never any fade, and quite as a mouse on the street. If I end up with pads of equal performance on my G82 I will be a happy man.

Currently I am not at all happy with the brake pad situation. No track oriented pads exist, and will not until someone (I am working on it) has an aftermarket manufacturer make track pads for these cars by sending them their worn out pads. There are several companies that will do this. Until then the only available source is BMW for their OEM street pads for these cars. I have had orders in for 5 weeks now, and have received front pads but not rears. In the meantime I have missed 3 track days that I would have otherwise attended. Sucks!

My 1 track day with this car showed me that the OEM pads perform well for street pads if you overlook the fact that they were done by the end of the day...2 1/2 hours of use. They exhibited only mild fade towards the end of a few sessions which was easily controllable. The car however has a strong rear brake bias which has also been experienced by others on this forum. This resulted in twice the wear on the rear pads as the front. Some folks have speculated that this is due to the TCS & MDM applying the rear brakes which of course will happen if they are left on. In my case however I turn everything off while on a track, and the result was the same so...

As for the pad swapping process, it is different from, and more labor intensive than the trusty old Brembo's of the F series era. Both the front and rear calipers need to be removed from the car, and then the halves separated to remove and replace the pads. Additionally, the pistons on the rear calipers can only be retracted and then reset by connecting and using a laptop. I have not tried this myself, and someone has claimed that they have found a way around the laptop thing, but who knows.

Personally I would rather have the added weight of a good old analog set of fixed Brembo's in the rear with a separate parking brake caliper and a handle to yank on, but I wasn't consulted. Sigh.