View Single Post
      05-16-2021, 12:15 PM   #21
Ska8139
Rep
Drives: Dad mobile

Interesting post. I was/am actually in this position where I was considering these exact cars. Last June I put an order for an RS6, which ended up getting damaged at port in January. While waiting for another allocation, I began researching the E63 wagon. I consumed all of the reviews and noticed the general consensus was that "it's the one car to have if you can only have one car in your garage." Fortunately for me, I saw an 2018 E63 wagon (pre-facelift in 2021) at a local dealership and got an opportunity to experience it. It was everything the reviews had indicated. It's really an emotional, dramatic car similar to my M2. Factor in the beautiful interior (subjective) and loads of practicality (35 cubes in trunk; enough space for two strollers) and I decided to put down a deposit and am expecting my order to lock this month for an August delivery.

For fun, I also test drove an M3 CP. I found it's appearance less polarizing in person when compared to pictures. Still not a pretty car imo (subjective), but better looking than in pictures. The performance was fantastic and that for me is the draw for the car. It's not E63 fast or brutal, but it's impressive and I really enjoyed how it drove. Handled really well too. My biggest issue with the car is the cost. My particular spec for the XDrive is well over $90k, and for me, I can't justify the cost for what amounts to be a nicer 3 series. I think for a mass produced car, it's just too expensive. At least with the E63 wagon (not sedan), it's a rare car (MB makes between 200-300 units for the US annually) and so it retains it's value better. I also wasn't thrilled with the trunk capacity of the G80 - same capacity as much my smaller M2.

This isn't to disparage the G80/82; I think they're fantastic performance cars if you're okay with the compromises they require (cost being the big one). I just didn't find it special enough to get it over the E63 or even the RS6.

Last edited by Ska8139; 05-16-2021 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0