View Single Post
      06-27-2019, 11:02 AM   #50
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
The biggest complaint is not about speed but shift feel.

It is nowhere as engaging as the DCT on manual mode. Best performance when left in auto which goes against avid drivers.
Yes, I agree... I see loads of comments from people saying "auto is auto" ... and they are clearly not the people who drive a DCT in 'manual' mode.

The *whole point* of the DCT gearbox is that the driver gets to choose which gear to be in and when to shift. The transmission's job is to execute those decisions in a really immediate fashion, e.g. throttle-blipping on downshift while braking into a tight turn.

I really don't care how 'smooth' the shifts are - doesn't matter at all if you are shifting at the right time, and keep the car in the right gear. I actually love to feel that kick in the pants from an aggressive upshift. I love to hear the throttle blips and exhaust farts from changing down early under braking before turn-in. I have no desire for the car to change gears on me half way through a turn, or upshift to 8th on a freeway because it thinks I should be saving fuel. I want the car to slow down with engine-braking when I lift off the gas - it annoys the hell out of me when an auto box upshifts as I lift off.

I regularly see MT drivers make comments such as "you just push down your right foot and the transmission does all the rest". If that's how you drive a DCT M4 then you probably deserve a ZF transmission ;-)

Last edited by pbar; 06-27-2019 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 4