Drives: 2022 BMW X3 2023 BMW M3CX

Garage List
2023 M3CX  [5.00]
BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatarwj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelaw View Post
Can't seem to find anything re. swapping out the kidney grille surround. Want to replace my "titanium" colored surround with black (on the way from dealer) but no idea how difficult/PITA it will be to get it done.

Did my 335 cpe back in the day and that was a pain, but doable. With the M240i active shutters, anyone have insight/link to how-to remove and replace?
Little nervous that no posts show this being done (nor YouTube). Thanks much-

ps--no "park assist plus" or whatever it's called, so no sensor/camera to deal with.
Hey there! Did mine a few weeks ago, going from the grey trim to all black. I couldn't find any videos or instructions and ended up just going for it.

First step, make sure you have a auto trim removal kit. Here is an example from Amazon that I bought for under $10: https://www.amazon.com/GOOACC-Remova...C82&sr=8-2

Next you will need a T30 bit to remove the 2 covers after you remove the weather seal.

After you remove all of that, you will have to disconnect the automatic opener arm for the grille (sorry that I don't know the actual name for it).

Then you can use one of the tools to help pop the clips off of the old one, while using your new one as a guide to where they are. The hardest part was getting the center of it off. I got to this point and was sweating a little bit because it was the last connection and I didn't want to mess anything up. I just grabbed both ends of the grille that were now free of the clips at that time and wiggles up, down, left and right and it came off. Putting the new one on is just taking all your steps and putting them in reverse, which only took a couple minutes.

Once you are done, make sure you push each inch of the weatherstrip back on, if you throw the hood back down and there is a gap, that just means you need to push the weatherstrip down a little better.

I hope all this helps and I will look for pics on my phone now.

Don't hesitate to PM me and questions and I would be willing to be on consult for when you go to do this.
Here are the pics I took during the procedure:
Appreciate 1
jmelaw32.00