Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by codestar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilalien View Post
Might be. I have heard this is a weird demand on trucks before. I get the tax benefit, and have run the numbers… but they aren't willing to budge. A reply in the F22 forum suggests I should expect quite a bit more, no idea if that is an informed opinion or not.
I think they are trying to cash in on the crazy used vehicle market. I've been keeping an eye on listings very similar to my 435 and the average price is nearly 10k higher than their offer. Even accounting for them servicing it to get it ready for sale, etc., I still think there is a huge profit for them.

I've put out some feelers to a few people and may sell mine privately, but I don't want to deal with tire kickers so I'm not formally listing it. If I sell it and make ~5k more than the dealer's offer then that will pay for the winter set. Otherwise I'll chalk up the dealer offer as a loss due to convenience of not worrying about it anymore
The way to compare private vs trade-in IMO:

(trade-in value) + (tax reduction) + (personal cost)

The trade-in value is subtracted from vehicle purchase price, and you pay tax on the rest as I understand it. That tax reduction is money you don't pay, so effectively the invisible part of the trade-in offer. It is 15% in tax in BC for this car. How much you value your time and energy is the last piece.

That makes the gap between trade-in and at least one comment I've seen on these forums ("you can get $40k for it") less than $10k. I did have someone interested in it in the summer, but probably not at crazy used market prices. I can't find his business card (remember those? )… yet. Somewhere in my damn office.
Appreciate 0