View Single Post
      05-20-2021, 01:22 PM   #478
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
The G80 is for me too sole less. It is really subdued and feels more like a M340i than a M3 on a daily basis. It is quick don't get me wrong, but it never feels like an experience to drive in comparison to the previous F-series car.

For me a M car is never first a quick car, but one that offers me an experience to drive and then it is also really quick. I need to feel special behind the wheel. The steering and the handling combined with a proper sound track needs to fuel my senses, and the M3 doesn't do this to me.

After I had driven one for like 650 km, I stepped out and was like.... OK this is it? Great car, really quick, but can I have my M2 back please. The M3C is super quick on track, immensely capable, but it feels more like a mini-M5, than a M3. It is grown up, feels mature and is therefore less of an occasion to drive. The smooth gearbox and absent exhaust sound are the biggest impact of it all for sure.

The external looks are not my thing, but I had hoped to find a car that really set itself apart as a drivers car, and it isn't on a daily basis. I would get a Giulia QV over it any time of the day, I would get a F80 M3 CS any time of the day. Also if I wanted a daily driver I would get a M5C or a Alpina B3.

The M3 for me is butt ugly at first, but secondly it is also emotionless and only is able to really set itself apart when you go ballistic and how often do you do that? The subdued nature is something a lot of cars have these days due to legislation and new restrictions.

I understand why it is, but it doesn't make cars more fun. At that to the fact the car only really comes into its own at mach 10 on the Autobahn or on track, and I am like that is not what I want to see in a M3.

It is also one of the reasons why I enjoy E46 M3's and M2 so much more than the M3 and M4's of this and previous generation. For me the M2 is all what is left of "Freude am fahren", all the rest are big heavy sedans with lots of power that are capable to hit mach 10 but which most people never even touch.

MR
Perfectly said MR. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0