Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Thinking LCI is valid.

Take the M2 as example, MY2016 came with very outdated ID4 which immediately was replaced by MY2017 which also brings other good updates (significantly better audio system).

Then the MY2018 is the LCI which refreshes the interior and has the LED headlight upgrade which is a significant aesthetic improvement.

However, the biggest hit was with the MY2019 with the S55 engine change and other huge upgrades under the competition package.

I believe some still remember how hard it was for anyone to get an M2 allocation in 2016 when it's first landed to the US. My point is:

1) in early 2016 if you just wait a couple month for the My2017(SOP from July 2016), you'd get a significantly more modern car with ID5 (upgrade-able to even later ID6 lite).

2) if you know what's coming as the MY2018 LCI (from July 2017), you're able to make informed decision as to wait or not in early 2017.

3) If you know MY2019 gets the S55 I believe the most would choose to wait. Heck I'd even pass the M2 altogether and get the 991.2s should I know the S55 thing from the beginning.

The F87 M2 is an example how important it is to know(not necessarily to wait) what's to come, which influences the decision in a big way.

I have a strong feeling the same or even more will go to the G80/82.

For example:
1) in my opinion the S58 has a big responsiveness issue which potentially would get fixed (to some extent) by getting a ISG system.

2) I also believe the ID8 will instantly make all older system very obsolete. It's something once you see you can't unsee.

3) Cosmetic has always been a big issue and maybe bmw is going to do something about it. Let's look at G30/F90 LCI, which brings a significantly cooler laser headlight, and a revised bumper. Ask yourself, do you want that with the M3/4.

4) Again, look at F80 where you realize that the LCI model just has a bit of everything better and make for a noticeably all around car compared to earlier years. For the G80 you're not going to wait half the life cycle. Just one year with the LCI.
Agree on lot of points you made... but I think the M2 is the worst example of a typical life cycle of a BMW model ...

The switch to S55 probably would have never happened if the new regulations didn't kicked the other engine out...so probably not even BMW knew this when working on the OG M2...

On the other side, I think ID8 won't happen that soon on G8X, at least not with the single display layout, it is never mentioned in any talks about what models will receive it...
IMO I believe the new dash won't find its way into the M cars so soon or at all...as those are still more driver focused cars, where ID8 clearly is not focusing on, here I see a similarity to Mercedes, the C63 as an example never received the new curved dash despite facelifts after the dash had been introduced to other models...instead it gets the complete new layout now introduced with the S class.
Appreciate 2
262Hou49.00
EthanEJC199.50