View Single Post
      03-17-2021, 08:08 AM   #10
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Thinking LCI is valid.

Take the M2 as example, MY2016 came with very outdated ID4 which immediately was replaced by MY2017 among other noticeable updates (significantly better audio system).

Then the MY2018 is the LCI with all new interior and way better LED headlight for a significant aesthetic improvement.

However, the biggest hit was the MY2019 with the S55 engine and other performance upgrades under the competition package.

I believe some still remember how hard it was for anyone to get an M2 allocation in 2016 when it's first landed to the US. My point is:

1) In early 2016 just wait a couple month for the My2017(SOP from July 2016), you'd get a significantly more modern car with ID5 (upgrade-able to even later ID6 lite).

2) If you know what's coming for the MY2018 LCI (from July 2017), you're able to make informed decision as to wait or not in early 2017.

3) If you know MY2019 gets the S55 I believe the most would wait. Heck I'd even pass the M2 altogether and get the 991.2s should I know it.

The F87 M2 is an example how important it is to know(not necessarily to wait) what's to come, which influences the decision in a big way.

I have a strong feeling the same or even more will go to the G80/82.

For example:
1) In my opinion the S58 is very flawed with turbo lag which potentially would get fixed (to some extent) by getting a ISG system.

2) I also believe the ID8 will instantly make all older system very obsolete. Something once you see you can't unsee.

3) Cosmetic has always been a big issue and maybe bmw is going to do something about it. Let's look at G30/F90 LCI, which brought a significantly cooler laser headlight, and a revised bumper, something the G80/82 would die for.

4) Again, look at F80 where you realize that the LCI model just has a bit of everything better and make for a noticeably all around car compared to earlier years. For the G80 you're not going to wait half the life cycle. Just one year with the LCI.