View Single Post
      05-18-2023, 09:45 PM   #31
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I don't really call that having a choice.... Realistically you still go for the best total package (which you yourself define), and end up settling on certain features (i.e. the # of cylinders or method of induction). I've never been a big fan of turbos but I've "adjusted" because some of the best all-around cars use them (i.e. the G80). You could say the Cadillacs are choices except as a total package I still consider the G80 to be a better car - so there's that. The Lexus F cars are basically sweet engines stuck in cars from 2013, AMGs are downsizing to 4 bangers, and I don't really consider Mustangs and Dodges competitors in this class.

So I'd say we're "adjusting" to these smaller turbo engines and EVs because in terms of the total package, there aren't better options out there. But a true choice would be a modern car with a modernized version of those sweet V8s/V10s/V12s that we love.
Corvettes, Blackwings, Camaros, Mustangs...all have fairly modern sweet V8s, IMO. And what about Porsches (Panamera? Cayenne?), Audi RS6, Jaguar F Types? Again, you have choices today if you want a V8...and some even have manuals. So we need to quit bitchin' about what we don't have and appreciate what we do have, before they're all gone. Just because you want the perceived better "all-arounder" doesn't negate the fact that if you want a new V8 today in a pretty compelling car, you can get one. The Blackwing is quite a raucous all-arounder, with a manual nonetheless.

V10s are at the end of their run, in R8s and Lambos. V12s are getting rarer and rarer too.

But if you have the money, you will be able to find quite a few low-mileage, garage queen V10s and V12s over the next 20 years. Start saving up.

Last edited by KevinGS; 05-18-2023 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
mathys210.00