01-25-2024, 08:39 PM   #8
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego4026 View Post
Any solution on OPs problem? I have a G87, practically the same drive train with similar issue. Vehicle currently has 1500 miles and will have occasional long crank with no fault codes and dealer couldn’t duplicate the problem. It usually happens when vehicle sits for a few hours to a day, when starting it’ll take a few extra seconds to start. It seems similar to what older BMW were doing when they were having injector or fuel pump issues.
He never came back in to report. So I’ll assume the problem went away.

Slightly long crank won’t set a code. If it’s a fuel pump, pressure regulator or injector letting the fuel pressure slowly bleed off. This would require manual testing.
You would have to leave the car at the dealer a day or two. They would have to have a pressure gauge on the fuel system and see there was zero pressure when the start sequence started. The pressure would build while cranking until at pressure. Then the injectors would be able to work and the car would start.

I’m old and fuel pressure may be able to be watched with a diagnostic tool now. But same process applies.

I had a similar issue years ago and it took forever to find a slightly cracked AN fuel fitting.
Appreciate 0