View Single Post
      12-11-2020, 09:41 PM   #28
Jacky Treehorn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdriver17 View Post
I think all of us would agree road racing is more fun than drag racing/stop light racing. But how much time do we spend driving at the track vs getting an opening in traffic to have some fun? For most of us, we can only do one of those with 98+% of our time in the car.

I've never seen a car get slower around a track with more power, ever. Even when you put the same pro rider on a 600cc and 1000cc bike, they almost always have better times on the 1000cc bike unless it's a super tight track and the weight advantage of the 600 matters more than power. You just have to learn how to modulate the throttle. It's not actually changing the balance of the car at all.

The usable powerband is an important concept...I know everyone on this forum has somehow driven a 900hp monster....but the reality is that the way power comes out of a 900hp turbocharged car is different than the way it comes out of an engineered factory 500hp BMW. I appreciate the fact that the engineers that build these cars nowadays develop them along with factory racing drivers on road courses and real world road applications. It's pretty impressive. To understand why the "powerband" characteristics matter, well...you just have to be someone that drives cars on track often enough to understand the difference.

I would much rather lose weight rather than gain THAT much power. You have to understand that for someone like me, I meant it when I said I don't care if the car runs a sub 9 second 1/4 mile.

Everyone is entitled to buy one and make it something different. If you think a 900hp M3 will drive/behave/put down power the same way as a factory M3 - it's just not the way it works. Like I said, a 900hp M3 will take on a much different character.
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00