View Single Post
      03-24-2021, 08:44 AM   #6
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘18 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcai View Post
Assuming it's not a lease and you are at least a bit OCD about your car's paint like me: frozen paint can't be polished like normal glossy paint can to remove those clear coat scratches that inevitably get on any car over time. So unlike glossy paint where you can polish out some imperfections over time, you can't on matte paint. And the last thing you wanna do is respray matte paint cause it's basically impossible to seamlessly color match to the rest of your car.

Also, after you get rock chips (which is inevitable on any car), a simple touch-up pen won't hide the dimple from the chip on the paint-you're basically coloring in a hole, but the hole is still there and applying PPF over rock chips only amplify them to your eye. To get rock chips properly dealt with requires wet sanding and a lot of detailing work, and I can't even begin imagining what detailers will charge for that. The "normal" paint correction they do before applying PPF won't cover your chips.

Hence, if you want PPF, you should go straight from dealer to detailer. If you drive your car for awhile and then choose to get a PPF, it's gonna be substantially more money that you could've saved cuz of all the stuff they need to fix and paint correct. So for a glossy paint, you can just partial PPF the areas prone to road rash (rock chips etc) and leave the rest of the car to polish, but you can't polish matte paint so you would ideally get matte PPF for the whole car but that's expensive so some people just get regular paint and matte PPF whole car and you basically get a frozen finish and the whole car is PPfed at the same time, and you save the matte paint cost.
Wellll that sucks haha. I’m definitely OCD about my vehicles. And I am driving from dealer to detailer. Thanks for the heads up. Gonna do some more research into care and cleaning.
Appreciate 0