Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
I really don't get the 911 comparisons, totally different cars but I suspect it comes from a time when most M3's had two doors and a lot of M3 owners aspired to 'graduate' to a Porsche 911 one day.

Comparing the new M3 to the Panamera might be a better comparison, I need 4 doors so a 911 was never on the cards. The M4 is not even comparable to the 911 in terms of price or practicality or even the vehicle class it sits in. M4 is more of a GT style car and would be comparable to something in its price point like a Ford Mustang GT500, and the M3 comparable to Audi RS5 Sport Back, C63 AMG etc
The comparison stems from the fact that the M3(4) and 911 have been competing each other in GT racing on tracks around the world for decades. Further, a very strong appeal of the the M3(4) is that they have always offered near 911 levels of driving engagement with more practicality and far less cost, so they were very appealing alternatives. While the M3(4) have always been closer to their MB/Audi segment counterparts in size, they've been closer the 911 in driving spirit. Every generation of M3(4) have been pegged against the 911. This is nothing new.
I think that's wishful thinking from M3 owners to have them in the same bracket.

On M3 forums you often see people selling cars and buying 911's, I don't think you see guys saying I'm selling my 911 in favor of an M4 too often

When I think of M3's racing back in the day they were competing in touring cars vs Mercedes etc not Porsche
You missed the point entirely lol