06-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #43
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
IF it skips the mild hybrid system
I somewhat doubt that BMW will update the S58 with the mild hybrid system at this point - I think they'll use the same version that's in the F97/F98 for now. However, I still think that while the hybrid system has obviously added weight to the B58, it is pretty simple in its implementation and its omission will largely be offset by the additional turbocharger/ducting/etc. that the S58 adds vs. the B58.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4#post26228154

And not everything in that diagram is added content. Much of it is merely substituted for what would otherwise have been the 12V parts. Admittedly, I don't know enough about it to comment with any further detail than that.

Quote:
BMW managed to make the lightest F82 only 50 lbs heavier than the F32 430i (listed weight) added cylinder counts and all.
Is that really the case? That sounds too good to be true.

What about the F32 440i? Surely it must weigh more than the F32 430i.

Quote:
One technical aspect of interest is the weight of the S58 vs the S55, would you know?
I have no idea, but I'd imagine they are within 50 lbs of one another.

Another other big contributor to drivetrain weight is the transmission, and I don't know how much the 8AT weighs in comparison to the 7DCT either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I see that the new 4 series platform G22 seems to have gained only 4 lbs on the old 4 series the F32 in an as close to apples to apples comparison as we can get from the released models as impressive and a good sign.
I think it's wishful thinking to focus only on the 430i and ignore the M440i completely. Yes, the M440i has the mild hybrid system, but it also now weighs nearly 4000 lb. Surely you do not believe all of the additional weight is due to 48V. That's all but certain not to be the case.
Appreciate 1
solstice5457.50