View Single Post
      06-03-2020, 06:20 AM   #41
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I selected the 430i since the 2021 M440i is now a mild hybrid which might not be a good comparison to the 2020 440i of that reason.

What do you think?
I think that’s a terrible basis for comparison because the extra weight from the additional two cylinders dwarfs the extra weight from the mild hybrid system. Now add in the second turbocharger the S58 has and its plumbing and you have easily caught up to the mild hybrid-equipped B58. Furthermore, most M4s are likely to be AWD since the traction benefit, particularly from a dig, will be very compelling. If it weren’t the case, they’d not be bothering with the feature.

How does the weight of the G22 M440i xDrive compare to that of the F32 440i sDrive? That's likely the more telling number when it comes to how much weight gain the typical M4 will see. Of course the RWD 6MT M4 will be significantly lighter than an AWD 8AT M4, so that's not to be overlooked either.

Another data point: the X3 M and X4 M outweigh their X3 M40i and X4 M40i counterparts by a couple hundred pounds or more. Now, one could also point out that the M5 and M8 weigh less than the M550i and M850i respectively. However, the X5 M and X6 M also weigh less than the X5 M50i and X6 M50i. So the lighter weights of the M models would appear to be due to some effort M Division has put into the larger more premium iteration of the CLAR matrix or perhaps the weight of the S63 as compared to the N63. In other words the advantage is not that the M5/M8 are cars whereas the X3/X4 M are SUVs because it also applies to the X5/X6 M.

Irrespective of all of the above, the M440i xDrive weighs just a touch under 4000 pounds and is less than three inches shorter than an 840i Coupe. Frankly, it’s scary heavy and shockingly large. That’s my honest feedback, not trying to rain on your parade.
Appreciate 2
solstice5456.50
SeanWRT3179.00