Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
The torque now would kill a DCT quick. Couldn't handle the 460WTQ in my SC E92 without upgrades and the ZF in my F90 is quicker and more precise than the DCT in my M4GTS. Just my personal comparison. Also the ZF comes in with less weight. Not sure about your "cheaper" claim but lots of speculation out there. I do agree that the DCT is more aggressive, because it is mechanical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
It's cheaper that's why they do it. I'm not saying the ZF isn't a good gearbox but it's not a DCT. Driven the best versions of both and it's clear which is superior. ZF is more comfortable and all but the DCT is more precise and aggressive.
Agree 100%. Drove M2 Competition and M5 Competition back to back. ZF8 was faster, more responsive, and smoother in all situations. I think all those who claim DCT is superior either haven't given the ZF a chance or they are in denial that something could ever be better than a dual-clutch auto. DCT isn't even close to what Porsche's PDK offers and IMO not as well-rounded as the ZF option. Really doesn't surprise me that BMW is giving up on further developing the DCT.
Not sure I agree with you. Again, straight line acceleration isn't the only thing in the world. I compared an M5 to my departed F80 comp with DCT. I much preferred the DCT. That is not to say that the ZF8 wasn't good, I just liked the faster shifts and more visceral feel of the DCT.