View Single Post
      07-24-2019, 02:37 PM   #111
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Yep. 8 speed ZFs are terrible. Remind me of every ordinary autobox ever made. I'm not a huge fan of DCT either BUT they're not terrible—-there is a certain satisfaction to their mechanics and level of detail.

Don't give a crap about "shift speed". Care more about how things feel. ZF feels like garbage. DCT is a good compromise. Manual is the real deal.
Talking about "Shift speed", rather than responsiveness is part of the problem. People who have never driven a DCT in 'manual' mode aren't even aware how annoying it is to have lag between a paddle input and a gear change.

An M-DCT box is marketed as an "automated manual" - i consider it a fly-by-wire version of a manual transmission where I don't need to use levers and pushrods to make something happen, and the mechanical parts move a lot faster. I don't need to take my hand off the steering wheel and waggle one foot around in the air to feel driver engagement.

BUT... driver engagement depends crucially on the fact that my input timings matter. When I want to downshift, it has to happen now.

So, can we please try to get away from the 6MT "purists" saying "if I don't use a stick then all auto transmissions are the same" and "the ZF changes gear really fast and smooth". That's basically irrelevant to me.

I am prepared to hope that M-division includes some test drivers who feel the same way I do. Perhaps they will tweak the ZFat to be more responsive to inputs than all existing incarnations. If not, I'll be looking elsewhere.
Appreciate 2
kyrix1st2361.50
drgmt984.50