View Single Post
      05-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #35
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Has anyone actually DONE a CDV delete on a G80/82?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggins View Post
Take a look at a recent Youtube video (channel name is "What's your Forte")...he explains very similar steering issues as you described, and he was super frustrated by it. Even with LKA off, he is constantly fighting the wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G82M4Brooke View Post
Am I crazy?
Tempting as it is to say "yes", no, you are not crazy.

I'm guessing that like the F87 with the integrated CDV/Slave, you have to replace the sucker with an older design, like from the E9x chassis. Not difficult, but not particularly easy with the tight clearances, fluid running all over you while you do it and bleeding it properly afterwards.

I hated it too on my M2, but I'm starting to come to terms with it (the clutch). Basically you have to do what BMW wants us to do, which is go slow and take it easy. If you rush the shifts and pop the clutch, that CDV is going to delay (hence the "D") the engagement of the clutch to save the drivetrain. It's annoying, it's frustrating, and I hate the attitude of the manufacturer that thinks that they know what's best for us, when in reality it's just there to reduce their warranty claims.

As for the shifter, it's perfectly normal for a BMW. It's actually a lot better than the older cars, which had a whole bunch of side-to-side slop and could make you miss shifts on hard acceleration when the engine torque would twist the transmission. You'll get used to it.

Now, the steering. I concur that it is odd. I'm actually happy to see you guys complain, because I thought that there was something wrong with my car. Now I know that it's not just me (or it). My impression of what it does, is that once you stop moving the wheel, the assist is off. Then, as you start to move it, the assist comes back on. This results in a really odd feeling. It also tends to keep the wheel pointed wherever you left it, there's no returning to center without some help.

Annoying. I don't like it. I wish it was better. But I'm getting used to it, and now that (thanks to you all) I know that "they all do that" I'm going to quit bitchin' about it. But don't let that stop you all from complaining about it to BMW. They can tweak the software, and if enough of us mention it, they'll have a fix for it eventually. I hope.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
Telly9987180.00