View Single Post
      10-08-2020, 11:07 AM   #16
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Agreed, that’s exactly what it looks like which is likely going to be a bummer for those who love low rpm TQ and/or a linear power curve. Personally I don’t care much at sub 3k TQ but I do care about throttle response within the power band and on/off throttle behavior. If the low compression ratio make that significantly softer than the S55 it’s not something I’ll be happy about.
I totally agree that I would always want to drive an M car with the revs in the power band - and especially on the track. With these cars, my concern is that the time it takes to go from 3000 to 7000rpm is going to be really short - and especially if the 8 speed box is setup with quite similar ratios. This is going to make it really hard to drive "manually". I found this to be a real issue with the X3M... and I wonder if the ratios are going to be the same on the G8x?

Additionally, if you're city driving you're going to have to be really careful not to let the revs bog down below 3k. Again- this is probably not an issue in full auto - but I don't want to drive an M car like that. One of the reasons I drive a DCT in 'manual' mode is so that I can keep the revs where I want them, rather than letting it 'save fuel' for me.

I'm also very interested in technological improvements to chassis, suspension and steering, and that is the main reason I started this thread. We know surprisingly little about any of these things right now.... I wonder when the press drives will start happening?
Appreciate 0