View Single Post
      01-07-2021, 09:11 AM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Thanks for the input everyone! So far it sounds like no one here actually has their 5G home service, yet. For me, it's the only available alternate to Comcast in my area. Well, I also could do CenturyLink but they only have an old 1.5 Mbps T1 line in the street so that's not really an option for me. So it's $90 a month for 25 Mbps of Comcast with their throttled connection and data streaming caps, or, $50 a month for T-Mobile with no throttle, no caps, no contract, no equipment rental. I guess all I have to lose is $50 if I try it for a month and hate it. I'd likely keep the Comcast connection active for that month just in case, then cancel it after I discover whether the T Mobile service will work for me.
I did the same when I was looking to move off of Verizon DSL to Comcast cable Internet by keeping both services active for a month. Prior to Comcast taking over Adelphia, Adelphia's service was horrible. Even though the line speeds are faster than DSL, the reliability of the connection and their DNS left a lot to be desired. DSL was rock solid and why I kept it for so many years.

One thing you need to consider is the tower itself. One of the posters mentioned their performance is all over the place. That's because you're sharing that tower with everyone else using the tower for access. The more subscribers hammering the tower, the lower your performance. There is also the land line circuit T-Mobile has pulled to the tower. Network engineers will make a best guess as to what the data usage would be in that area and will many times allow some level of oversubscription banking on that the peak demand won't happen too often that would saturate the land line.

It's appealing for at least my vacation home. But as I think about what I have running between my primary and vacation homes, I'm not the typical home user. I have a dedicated Layer 2 encrypted tunnel that runs 24/7 between my homes which current provides land line service to my vacation home shared out from my Verizon land line service at my primary home. I'll be expanding more services I have between my homes in the near future. I doubt the required T-Mobile router will support any of the features I need.
Appreciate 0