12-23-2020, 01:52 AM   #15
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Interesting to follow this discussion... I'm yet to decide if the new M3 is worth the extra investment, coming from a 2017 M6 GC, but the sound system discussion is always close to my heart...

Just remember, if you are after a real high end sound system, it won't come from a car manufacturer - any manufacturer. All of them are compromised, primarily by the business case around them. Fundamentally, upgrade sound systems are there to increase the manufacturer's margin, not to deliver "best in class" sound experience. Also, individual preferences vary - you may like techno but I possibly love Vivaldi (no I don't), and the unfortunate trend of removing superior quality source media (CD) is arguably not going to promote the positive "sound quality development"... I wish they at least kept CD player/changer as an option, this is likely going to play a role when I will make a decision what next after the M6.

So, the discussion about these OEM sound system should draw the "reference line" somewhere in the discussion - if the benchmark is 90's VW Golf, all of the available options (H/K, B&O, B&W, Burmeister, Levinson) sound pretty damn good, and the surround trickery hides sound imperfections (a bit like a home sound bar is supposed to make pretty average speaker elements inside the bar magically sound great), but if you are after distortion free sound quality that has been optimised to the type of music you like and to the acoustical specifics of the environment (cabin), the only option I can see is to go for a custom after market system. If only they (manufacturers - in my case BMW) took that into consideration and selected speaker elements based on size that leaves plenty of options to choose from for custom build. To be honest, I would prefer ordering the car with head unit only, and then choose my own speaker elements, amps, DSPs etc. But obviously that would cut profits, so nobody is going to offer this - and unfortunately Koenigsegg is off limits for me.

Sorry about the rant... 😂
Appreciate 3