04-07-2021, 07:41 AM   #165
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
I look at it like this.... remembering first that Mxdrive isn't a bolt on get me home in the snow haldex system it is a sophisticated traction enhancement tool with electronic diffs center and rear that is so deeply integrated into the traction management system it essentially is the traction management system

Pros:
-awd will be faster off the line
-awd will be better in inclement weather
-awd will likely deliver faster laptimes on the majority of racetracks (maybe all tracks)
Cons:
-awd will not have the same traditional feel as rwd,
-awd will be slightly slower in a high speed rolling race due to more rotating mass

Considering that no ones paychecks are on line for laptimes in a stock M3, when purchasing it comes down to what factor drives personal enjoyment on the track or favorite backroad

Personally, rwd feel isn't high on my priority list,
I like the more "artificial" feel of an awd car shifting power forward to maximize traction. so I will easily take the faster car that has as a side benefit better all weather performance. That said, I don't think AWD is a "better" choice. For those who love rwd feel, nothing can replace it and rwd with proper tires is obviously capable of managing inclement conditions
Also, also, with AWD you can go to RWD when feeling frisky. To me, slight weight penalty and lack of MT option are the only cons AWD vs. RWD.

I know this isn't true for the F9X but the F9X also doesn't have the M Drive Professional option. Wondering if you go into RWD (having to turn DSC off) will the system allow you to use the 10-level TC in RWD mode if you tick that option.
Appreciate 0