Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
I haven't had my 6mt E92 since I sold it in 2015 but that motor, with its ITBs and no turbo will always beat the S58 in response. I'm out of break-in and can say the S58 does feel pretty good when above 4k rpm in its response. I prefer the power delivery of this motor over that of the N55 I had in my OG M2; and I like it better than the S55 in my previous F80, too.

As for the manual, rev hang is there but as the one poster said, turning off auto rev match makes it better. I will say it feels great when you hook up and nail that 1-2 shift in the G80... it just pulls hard and feels great! Much better than the same event in the M2.
Too bad, I love how direct the throttle is in the S65.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
It would put it somewhere between S58 and S55. The pro to a smaller turbo is less lag, the con is usually less top end power. S58’s power delivery is a product of its design - lower compression ratio + bigger turbos = more power and top end at the expense of boost threshold and lag. S55 is about response, not pure power - hence the perceived “spikiness” and why tuning its top end is very hard on stock turbos. S58 is about power, specifically in the upper half of the tach. Which is more linear or NA feeling? Well I would say S55 has a more NA-like throttle response while S58 has a more NA-like power band.

Was really hoping the S58 had both going for it

Throttle response and 7,500+ rpms redline really makes a manual car exceptional to me.
Appreciate 0