View Single Post
      06-27-2021, 04:18 AM   #1
abc.xyz
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 6MT, BMW G82 M4 6MT

E9x vs. G8x (both 6MT)

Okay so I know not many people will be doing this comparison, but I've daily'ed an 08 E92 M3 for the past 6 years, and also just picked up my G82 M4 today; both 6MTs. And I'm noticing quite a few differences, let me know if you also have experience with both, and whether I'm going nuts or what I'm doing wrong..

I'll preface this with that the G82 is obviously still in break-in and I'm uhh... reluctant to repeatedly punch it to redline. Also, most dealers here don't allow test drives so I really didn't have much seat time before committing (test drove around one small block in SF...). But on the interweb there's nothing but praises after praises for this car, so I wasn't too concerned about whether this car will be "good".

First the engine response:
The car is fast, no question about that, and it pulls hard in the top end. However, I can't help but feel that the engine response is lacking. Now I know this is a turbo car, and I can't expect it to feel like an NA engine (i.e. like my E92, or an R8 or Huracan which I've test driven), but I feel like the G82's engine response isn't as good as say, the F8x's, or the 991.2's and 992's. I'd say it feels more like that of a mclaren 570s. I did put the engine response in sport plus, which admittedly is better, but what I said above still holds. Does anyone have experience with some/all of the cars I've listed above and can comment on this? With the G82 the power builds quickly but it doesn't kick you in the back like an E92 would, which makes the faster G82 feel a lot more tamed and perhaps less exciting and definitely less raw when compared to the E92's NA V8..

Next is the transmission (6MT):
Admittedly I've not driven that many high performance manual cars (last gen R8 V10, E92/F8x M3/4, 991.2), but the rev-hang in the G82 is crazyyyyy! Going from 1st to 2nd at... 4k rpm... clutch in and I have to wait forever for the revs to drop, else I'd lurch forward making for a pretty uncomfortable (and uncool looking) drive. Kinda reminds me of a wrx I drove a long time ago, and quite different than the other 6MT performance cars I mentioned above. Thoughts?

I'm sure objectively speaking the G82 is the better car compared to the E92, and it does make you realize how much tech has advanced in these 10+ years lol. But on second thought, maybe I'll keep my E92

Please, thoughts/opinions/anecdotal experiences?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0