View Single Post
      11-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I have both an M340i and X3M comp so that's as close as you can get to comparing M3 to M340i right now. They are significantly different in how they drive but both incredibly capable on the street. The G20 is softer but still handles remarkably well. The S58 is clearly more powerful than B58 but that extra power lives in the 5-7k rpm range. From 1500-4000 the B58 is very strong.

There are a lot of factors to consider but I think the main one is do you care about paying the M premium and would you use the higher performance of the M? You have to be willing to hit triple digit speeds on the street to really take advantage of the S motor imo.
There is no way I will hit triple digits on the street. I prefer to stay out of jail. I will hit triple digits at the track, but that will be once a year, maybe, if I make it out there.

I've wanted to test drive the X3M for exactly this type of comparison. I did drive the M340i and it was great. I also test drove the M2 which feels even better, more alive. I know that's partly because of the shorter wheelbase, but I think it's also the stiffer suspension which I like. If the driving experience/feel of the M3 is significantly different from the M340i, then I'm willing to pay the M premium.
Appreciate 0