10-25-2020, 08:53 AM   #269
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Everyone in this thread has competing thoughts and opinions and no one is right/wrong but I think what many people here are failing to grasp and understand is this sort of collaboration has always been part of the BMW Group. This partnership and collaboration goes beyond sales.

BMW Group, outside of designing, manufacturing and selling cars, has a group of people dedicated to branching out and integrating with different cultures whether it be music, jazz, art. This Kith collaboration is no different - whether or not people agree with it or not, this type of street, hypebeast culture or whatever you want to call it, is popular now and to BMW, they think it's important branch out to.

So back to your original comment, can this be seen as BMW trying to generate some sales? Sure. But is this evidence of BMW lacking identity and selling out? Absolutely not because BMW has always participated in this type of thing whether it's the BMW Art Cars or supporting and hosting Jazz and Art and Opera events at the Welt - cultural engagement is a very big thing for BMW and is outlined as part of their business responsibilities.
Yes, and I'm familiar with those things. It's the entire picture now -- Kith edition, M3/M4 design direction, release promos, M Performance parts, curb weight, gimmicky tech, etc.

We'll all view through an individual lens. There is no way to reconcile with the late 90's, early 00's brand that engaged me. They have sold out on their defining principles.

Looks like an unforced business error from where I sit, a pretty comprehensive abandonment of a seriously loyal customer base decades in the making, but we'll see.

Appreciate 4