09-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #49
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
It makes sense though, appeal to the LCD for sales. I just wish BMW had more guts than that.
I think the fundamental problem with this car is it doesn't move the game forward, quite the opposite in fact.

M3's have always brought something unique in that generation. The S54 in the E46 which had the highest BHP per litre of any production car at the time. The S65 high revving motorsport derived naturally aspirated V8 in the e9x with a carbon roof and Getrag DCT gearbox. The F80 with CFRP drive shaft, carbon strut brace, solidly mounted rear subframe, fantastic electronic M differential, and a still reasonably high revving twin turbo straight six with the potential for prodigious power. It also had hugle improved reliability. People maligned its lack of soul but there was no doubt it was a performer. However it started the slide..

What does the G80 bring? An extra 300lbs, 4WD (lol), an 8 speed automatic, a choked 7.2K RPM redline, single piston rear calipers(?!!??). The carbon seats are nice, and as someone who likes to track the ability to run harnesses is a big deal. Ten stage traction control sounds great until you realize most people who track turn it all off anyway. The tech is a big step forward, I really like the digital dash and infotainment in my G20. But that isnt unique to the M3. At this point what differentiates it from an Audi? At least with Mercedes you can get a V8. They threw enthusiasts a bone in the US with the manual, but it will be the same manual from the F8X cars. There is zero chance they spent any development cash on improving it.

Ultimately they will sell plenty of units and it will be a sales success. But at what cost? It's very clear there is no one left at BMW who understands what made the brand great in the first place.
Appreciate 5
GhostyM538.50
CanAutM321116.50
Germanauto9702.50
nublu2u103.00
A6bullet337.00